Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

cloning difficulties with parallax

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Marc Koecher

cloning difficulties with parallax

PostSat Aug 19, 2017 9:46 pm

I just wanted to see if anyone out there had any thoughts on how remove an object from a very specific shot type. Essentially, any scene where the object is in front of varying levels of parallax. Such as horizontal (or dolly out) move of a person standing in front of a rolling hill.

So far my thoughts are:
- tracking the foreground object is easy. As is attaching a clone path to this.
- finding a suitable region to clone FROM however is the difficult part. Any other part of the scene would have a very different amount of parallax/scale movement.
- animating the offset is the only solution I can find to mitigate this to some degree. And then using some “randomizing” to blend the edges of this cloned region. However, even the slightest innacuracy to the movement within the cloned region makes it very apparent.
- I have attempted to track/keyframe the movement of various depths of background. But I can’t quite think of a way of making this apply to varying the clone offset.
- and cloning things in sections separated by background depth like above
- some aspects are solved by the nature of cloning (like overall scale, etc.)…which I think is helpful…but then also hurts at times
- Perhaps someone with more experience or smarter than me can figure out how to do math along the lines of: (starting offset position) - (tracked current position of the element that was under the starting offset position) = (new offset position). This would at least solve part of the “drift” to some degree.

Anyhow, any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Marc

Bryan Ray

Re: cloning difficulties with parallax

PostSun Aug 20, 2017 12:40 am

Without seeing your footage, this advice is pretty general.

Don't get too hung up on using the Paint tool. If you can get or paint a clean area of the background, you can just use a mask and a Matte Control to isolate it. Apply your tracking to it and use a Grid Warp to take care of the perspective changes.

Stabilizing the plate can make clean plate creation simpler.

If you have Mocha Pro, try its object removal mode. It's a little difficult to learn, and my success rate with it is only about 20%, but when it works it's freaking magical.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Kel Philm

Re: cloning difficulties with parallax

PostSun Aug 20, 2017 1:52 am

Could you do a 3D camera track of the shot and then recreate the geometry of the background and project a painted clean plate onto it?

Return to Fusion