Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

EXR compression Input & Output

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Olly Radford

EXR compression Input & Output

PostWed Aug 23, 2017 11:12 am

Hi there,

I am making the switch to Fusion/Resolve from AE/Premiere and I am trying to workout my new workflow.

We render CG animations using VRay, which has great EXR compression options. I have been using DWAB and I'm pretty happy with the file size.

Does anyone have any insight into the optimal EXR compression to use in Fusion?

I am also keen to know what EXR compression Resolve prefers, when saving comps from Fusion for editing.

All feedback welcome!

Cheers,
Olly

Joe Laffey

Re: EXR compression Input & Output

PostSat Sep 02, 2017 6:27 pm

Zip Scanline or Zip 16 Line seem to be the best bets. I think Zip 16 Line is often a hint smaller. Last I tried tiled and block formats were a lot slower. If your frames are really noisy then sometimes PIZ works out well.

Including the Data Window (Region) in the EXR from VRay (or any renderer) will help immensely with loading speed if your data area is not full frame (like for an element on an alpha). YOu can view your EXR in Fusion and turn on the DoD display to see if the window/region is coming through correctly.

Note also you can go into the loader for your EXRs in Fusion and disable any channels you do not need. This can also improve loading speed.

Olly Radford

Re: EXR compression Input & Output

PostMon Sep 04, 2017 10:24 am

Thank you for the pointers Joe - much appreciated!

Return to Fusion