Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

"Floating Point Exception" on Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Robert Nelson

"Floating Point Exception" on Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya

PostThu Aug 24, 2017 5:44 am

I am getting a "Floating point exception" error when I try to start the Linux version of Fusion9
I have an i7-3930k processor and a GeForce 660 Ti video card with the Nvidia drivers installed.
I am running "Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya"

My first guess would be that the processor is too old, however, the i7-3930k has support for SSE4.2, AVX, and AES extensions.

I have tried with both the Nvidia 375.66 driver and the Noveau 1:1.0.12-1build2 driver. I get the floating point exception on both.

Running dmesg after running the fusion binary shows the error message:
[46415.571674] traps: GUI Thread[14432] trap divide error ip:7fa73d825b19 sp:7ffc50c6edb0 error:0 in libqxcb.so[7fa73d7ca000+119000]

Any ideas how to fix this?

Noel Sterrett

Re: "Floating Point Exception" on Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 1:18 pm

I'm getting the same thing on two machines with Centos 7.3 installed from the BMD Resolve distro. Both run Resolve without issue.

I've posted about it, but no response from BMD.
https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=58036&p=335629&hilit=trap#p335482

It appears to be related to Qt (libqxcb.so).

Cheers.
Admit One Pictures
Resolve Studio 18 | Linux Lint 21 | Nvidia 515 | Xeon | iCore | Ryzen

Doug Marsh

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 3:01 am

I found on a forum OUTSIDE this one, It appears to be an issue with how the GUI part of the code is written (in part) and dealing with more than one monitor. I see a "Server" and "client/window" kind of relationship thing going on. Probably so people can have Linux based render farms.

I tried 9 failed.. so Downloaded 8.2.1 failed.. researched lightly.. found the single monitor / dual monitor thing.. tried disabling external monitor on my laptop and it works... trying disabling built-in and run JUST external monitor FAILS... Obviously two monitors fail. Doesn't matter if dual monitors are MIRROR or separate areas of the screen. I didn't try that many window arrangements (primary left, 2nd right -- primary top, 2nd bottom -- etc).. but dual monitors in any configurations crashes the program. Parts of the code are written in Python but I am not big on Python so I am not interested in researching that source code.

I wonder why this software requires the primary monitor port be used and ONLY SINGLE MONITOR ?!

I wonder if the developers even know this is a silly bug in the code? Not sure if issue between nVidia and proprietary drivers or not.

If somebody could test native drivers (Nouveau or AMD/ATI or Intel) with single and dual (or more) monitors and try single monitor in different "ports" as well.

--Doug (dx9s)

EDIT: forgot to mention.. I even started with one monitor (primary output) and fired up 8.2.1 on Ubuntu (16.04.3) and then re-enabled 2nd display and the program crashed immediately.

Noel Sterrett

PostFri Sep 15, 2017 5:42 pm

I think it may be display related, but I only have one monitor and can't even get to the splash screen. The Floating Point Exception on my system is in a QT library.

There seems to be no support from Blackmagic on this forum. Sad.

Cheers.
Admit One Pictures
Resolve Studio 18 | Linux Lint 21 | Nvidia 515 | Xeon | iCore | Ryzen

Return to Fusion