Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

pre-creating a Fusion content directory structure?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

ErichLinder

pre-creating a Fusion content directory structure?

PostWed Aug 30, 2017 9:21 pm

I'm beginning to get back into Fusion (used it when it was DFX Plus 3) and something basic is driving me nuts. I distinctly remember being able to set a default content directory path structure such that a main folder held subfolders with all the needed textures, objets, images, sequences, etc. Everything was self contained so you could move that main folder anywhere, set the main content path in Fusion, and it would automatically know where everything was without having to go looking for assets. Same for saving or exporting, it would put everything where it belonged. It worked very similarly to how the Lightwave3D content directory structure works. Am i not remembering correctly, or is there another way of doing that now?

Erich

LW-Content_directory_structure.jpeg
LW-Content_directory_structure.jpeg (59.73 KiB) Viewed 1503 times

Sander de Regt

Re: pre-creating a Fusion content directory structure?

PostThu Aug 31, 2017 7:05 am

I think this still works the same way with path maps and relative paths.

If you use comp: as your 'drive' then all paths will be relative to the place you put your comp in.
This way, wherever you put that directory with all the stuff in there, the comps will keep working.
But since Dfx+ 3 didn't have a 3D system there's a good chance you're recalling something else :-)
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

ErichLinder

PostThu Aug 31, 2017 2:56 pm

That could very well be, it's been a long time. As I remembered it, when saving the comp it would gather the elements from wherever they currently were, create the needed folders, copy the assets into the relevant folders, and change the paths to relative paths so the whole thing was self-contained. Then before opening the project again, wherever it was, you just pointed the program to the uppermost folder as the main path, and it would open and find everything. It made moving from machine to machine or sharing projects very easy.

OK, so where do I send this as a future feature request? :)

Erich

Sander de Regt

PostThu Aug 31, 2017 7:01 pm

Now that you mention it: I think this was a script from back then. Something like consolidate copy.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

ErichLinder

PostSat Sep 02, 2017 3:16 pm

Thanks for confirming my memory isn't quite as bad as I was beginning to think. I assume that means that currently there is no automated way of consolidating a comp and all the assets into a specified location from within Fusion?

Erich

Return to Fusion