Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Delta keyer is mega slow

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Niels van der Heijden

Delta keyer is mega slow

PostTue Sep 05, 2017 2:11 pm

I'm trying to key some shots in fusion studio 9 but it's almost impossible. The delta keyer is incredibly slow and fusion keeps crashing constantly. Some frames take almost a minute to process but the average is about 15 seconds which in my opinion is way to slow. If I key the same shot in AE or even premiere is is way faster. I didn't even tweak the fancy settings in the delta keyer. I just clicked the green and moved the "Matte - Clean Foreground and Background" sliders a bit.
This can't be right right?

Edit: It seems like the Clean Foreground option is causing the slow down. If that is set to zero the performance is not so bad. What does Clean Foreground do exactly, I mean internally? What it looks like it is similar to the Threshold found in the Matte tab?

Uli Plank

Re: Delta keyer is mega slow

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 2:32 am

Switch off OpenCL, if you didn't try that yet.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Niels van der Heijden

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 7:11 am

Yes I already tried that.

David_Cox

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 2:32 pm

Niels van der Heijden wrote:Edit: It seems like the Clean Foreground option is causing the slow down. If that is set to zero the performance is not so bad. What does Clean Foreground do exactly, I mean internally? What it looks like it is similar to the Threshold found in the Matte tab?

Clean foreground blurs the matt and they re-keys it to try and get rid of any small black holes in the otherwise white areas of the alpha. Clean background does the opposite to remove small white spots from the otherwise black area.

If you use it with high values, you will almost certainly loose edge detail in your matt. I would use it as a last resort just to get rid of any tiny bits of noise that persist in the matte and only ever with small values.

The slowdown is probably being caused by using high values I would think, because higher values blur more pixels and so create more work to do.

DC
Showreels: vimeo.com/davidcoxtv

Sam Steti

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 3:18 pm

Hi there,

I'm not sure the high values are responsible of the bad perf, but I don't know the delta keyer on the other hand. However I'm very used to Primatte keyer with which I never experience worst perf with cleaning the FG/BG whenever needed than... global perf of Fusion Studio 8 I use. (this is another topic)
As a comparison point, this never happens and cleaning that is particularly quick : immediate refresh of the matte in the GUI.
But what I can say for sure is that if you're obliged to make multiple passes or use high values for it should take you to have a look again to the range of the green/blue you selected, or to the contrast between the FG and the BG, actually regardless to the tool used to key. /my 2 cts.
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

David_Cox

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 3:36 pm

Although both are called "clean foreground / background", the processes between Primatte and Delta are different. With Primatte, the clean functions tighten up the tolerance of the range of colours considered to be the background. This is similar to what the "threshold" function does in the Delta Keyer's Matte tab. These shouldn't cause any performance hits.

The clean functions in the Delta keyer are like the ones found in Resolve and aim to fill in small holes in the matte which are contained within large solid areas. Most likely using median blurring etc. This will be more computationally heavy, although Resolve does it faster IMHO.

DC

Sam Steti

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 4:19 pm

Ok, thx for the piece of news
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Suchuāto Ritoru

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 5:49 pm

In the Delta Keyer (formerly knows as Ultimatte Advantage) The clean functions use median's to remove the noise. The higher the setting the bigger the matrix the median is using and as with all median filters the bigger the number the slower it goes.

Niels van der Heijden

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 7:29 am

Thanks for the explanation, this really helps.

alan bovine

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 2:29 pm

FYI Delta keyer is NOT ultimatte or based on it.
Fusion video tutorials : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTCeDas53OEcWcRujkQiwLg/videos?view_as=subscriber
Fusion Tools : https://github.com/statixVFX/stx_tools
Nuke 2 Fusion nodes : https://github.com/statixVFX/nuke2fusion

Wouter Verwijlen

PostSat Sep 09, 2017 11:57 am

If I pull a similar key in After Effects with Keylight (with more or less comparable settings) and in Fusion 9 with Delta Keyer, the render from Fusion 9 takes about 5-10x longer. OpenCL disabled. It's heavy as hell and needs some optimizing. The results look great though!

Niels van der Heijden

PostMon Sep 11, 2017 8:19 am

If you don't use "clean foreground / background" it should be nearly real time depending on you system specs of course.

Wouter Verwijlen

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 12:18 pm

Hm yes that makes a big difference. Restore Fringe is also causing quite a bit of slowdown.

GerryEgan

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 12:40 pm

Thanks for the suggestions here.

Every time I went to even look at or test the Delta Keyer, the system seemed to go non-responsive.

I took the suggestion from here to turn off OpenCL and now I've gotten to at least play around with it a bit.

I'm wondering, though, does turning off OpenCL affect my pc in any other ways or other programs or is it just in Fusion.

Gerry Egan
Raleigh, NC

David_Cox

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 9:29 pm

Just Fusion. In fact, just the specific node you are working on. Turning off openCL simply tells Fusion to run the process for that node on the CPU rather than your GPU graphics card.
DC

Rick van den Berg

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 7:11 am

Niels van der Heijden wrote:If you don't use "clean foreground / background" it should be nearly real time depending on you system specs of course.

i think thats the part where the delta keyer can make a difference.

Return to Fusion