Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

[Bug] Fusion 9 crashes on ColorCorrector.Histogram

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Jeremy Hollobon

[Bug] Fusion 9 crashes on ColorCorrector.Histogram

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 4:19 am

Hi Blackmagic,

You probably know this already, but just in case...

I can reliably crash Fusion 9 (specifically, the free version of Fusion 9.0, Build 13, running on Windows 10), by attempting any (non-default) Histogram operation in the ColorCorrector tool.

For example, starting in an empty comp, create a default BG tool, and connect it to a ColorCorrector tool. In the ColorCorrector parameters, click on the Histogram button, then the Equalize button.

Now, when you try to evaluate the ColorCorrector (e.g. load it into a Viewer), Fusion will crash (every time).

This doesn't crash Fusion 8.2.1 Build 6, running on the same machine.

I hope this is useful. Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Sander de Regt

Re: [Bug] Fusion 9 crashes on ColorCorrector.Histogram

PostWed Sep 06, 2017 8:01 pm

Hi Jeremy,

If you want to report a bug, contact BMD support directly. This is a user forum and even though BMD employees come here now and then, the best way for support is by contacting them directly.

One thing you can try though, since you're running Fusion 8 and 9 simultaneously is deleting your user prefs. There are some settings that work well in 8, that somehow crash 9. Deleting the profiles helps a lot of people.

I followed your steps and I don't get any crashes.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Jeremy Hollobon

PostThu Sep 07, 2017 11:05 pm

Hi Sander,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm new to the forums, so that info was really helpful. I'll be sure to send bug reports to BMD, in future. And it's good to know that you don't get this crash - I'll try futzing with the prefs, as you suggested. Cheers.

Jeremy Hollobon

PostSun Sep 17, 2017 8:10 am

Just in case someone else encounters this issue, I did figure it out in the end.

I fixed the problem (and some others, e.g. failure to compute the Rays tool) by choosing File > Preferences > Global & Default Settings > OpenCL, and changing the Device from Auto to CPU.

In a nutshell, I have embarrassingly crappy graphics hardware. So crappy, in fact, that it will crash Fusion. Forcing all graphics computations onto the CPU fixes the issue (at the cost of performance, of course).

Time to start saving for a better computer! :)

David Mitchell

PostThu Oct 05, 2017 2:36 am

I've been seeing crashes with the Rays tool with and without OpenCL enabled while Network rendering. If I bypass the Rays tool I do not have crashes. If I leave the Rays tool enabled but disable OpenCL it still crashes on the network.
Local render is fine with 2x Nividia Titan cards... just not network rendering.

Return to Fusion