Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion 9 vs Fusion 7 - DNxHD Codec issues

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Derek Serra

Fusion 9 vs Fusion 7 - DNxHD Codec issues

PostFri Sep 08, 2017 2:47 pm

Hey everyone -

My current setup:
After finishing a comp and rendering out an image sequence, I run a script that I've written that takes the image sequence and creates a QuickTime movie.
The script opens a pre-made comp, fills in the Loader and Saver information, and runs automatically.
The pre-made comp already has the "Avid DNxHD Codec" set in the Format tab of the Saver.
It doesn't matter if I want a resolution of 720 or 1080 - it always rendered it out correctly.

All of this worked fine in Fusion 7.

In Fusion 9, "Avid DNxHD Codec" is no longer an option. Now, I have multiple DNxHD settings to choose from. (See images comparing my current Fu7 and Fu9 options)
The biggest problem I'm having is that the Fu9 list has specific sizes (720 & 1080) assigned to each codec. I can't set any of them as the default because it will FORCE that particular size even if the input doesn't match it.

Is there a default codec that I can use to get Fu9 to work like Fu7 did?
Attachments
Fu9_AvidCodecs_0001.jpg
Fusion 9 codec list
Fu9_AvidCodecs_0001.jpg (86.25 KiB) Viewed 1456 times
Fu7_AvidCodecs_0001.jpg
Fusion 7 codec list
Fu7_AvidCodecs_0001.jpg (53.12 KiB) Viewed 1456 times

David_Cox

Re: Fusion 9 vs Fusion 7 - DNxHD Codec issues

PostFri Sep 08, 2017 3:34 pm

Are you able to use the "HR" formats instead of the "HD" formats? These are more resolution agnostic. I presume that with the new DNX implementation in Fu9, they have stuck to just the officially quoted resolutions of DnxHD perhaps.

DC
Showreels: vimeo.com/davidcoxtv

Derek Serra

PostFri Sep 08, 2017 3:50 pm

I did try one of the HR formats and it ended up crashing QT. I'll look into the others.

My biggest curiosity is why Fusion 7 doesn't list the individual codecs, and why Fusion 9 doesn't list the single codec. I don't know how the software reads the installed codecs.

David_Cox

PostFri Sep 08, 2017 4:17 pm

If you have problems reading the HR codecs in other apps, try installing the codec pack from Avid:
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/download/Avid-QuickTime-Codecs-LE

I think DNX support got renewed for Fu9 as it certainly seems to read and write faster than it used to. Maybe raise the issue with support in case it's an oversight? But perhaps it's intentional to stop us going off-piste with theoretically unsupported resolutions in DnxHD.

DC
Showreels: vimeo.com/davidcoxtv

Derek Serra

PostFri Sep 08, 2017 5:04 pm

Digging around some more, I found the difference in the two versions.

In Fu7, there is a list of configurations within the preferences options for different DNxHD resolutions and data rates. Those options don't exist in Fu9; they list separate codecs in the Saver list.

I'll have to rewrite my script to accommodate the new layout.
The old options allowed me to choose DNxHD 36, DNxHD 115, and DNxHD 175 that were all under the '1080p/23.976' listing. The new codec list has LB, SQ, HQ, and HQX, which are similar settings. I don't know if it allows all the options that I had before, but at least now I've made more sense of it.

Uli Plank

PostSun Sep 10, 2017 1:20 am

This may have to do with leaving Apple's QT framework behind for PC.

I observe similar changes in Adobe's programs too.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to Fusion