Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Working workflow between SilhoutteFX and Fusion?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Tanawat Wattanachinda

Working workflow between SilhoutteFX and Fusion?

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 7:31 am

Anyone work betwen SilhoutteFX and Fusion?

Currently I work with a rotoscope team in house. the software they're using is SilhouetteFX (pretty much industry standard for rotoscoping now a day)

Imagine You have hundred of rotoshape inside SilhouetteFX to export to Fusion

Currently I try export from SilhouetteFX (extension: Shake4 "ssf", Silhouette "fxs", and Nuke: ".nk" --> Fusion/import shapes

btw Fusion import ".nuke". It Is pretty outdated, right? now a day it's ".nk")

This is how it working right now.

- Shake4 (ssf)

import create 1 rotoshape tool for every 1 rotoshape inside Silhouette. without any hierarchy, no blend mode apply (add, subtract, multiply, difference, Max, inside), with animation bake to correct frame, but then don't seem to match Silhouette. I look into Silhouette, I think the issue is that there's a matrix transform inside Silhouette (keyframe create from Apply Tracker transform to Layer to stabilize the image for easy roto)

- Silhouette (fxs)

import create 1 rotoshape tool for every 1 rotoshape inside Silhouette. without any hierarchy, no blend mode apply (add, subtract, multiply, difference, Max, inside), no animation. look almost correct on first frame, but then the issue is it import with weird aspect. seem to double the size in X

- SilhouetteFX export as Nuke (.nk for nuke version under 6.2)

import shape into correct place only for first frame WITHOUT any animation, without any hierarchy, no blend mode apply (add, subtract, multiply, difference, Max, inside)

- SilhouetteFX export as Nuke6.2+ (.nk for nuke version newer than 6.2)

nothing show up. Fusion didn't import anythings

There's seem to be no way I can have shapes from SilhouetteFX workable in Fusion at the moment. This is HUGE drawback If I will ever adopt Fusion into our pipeline.

SilhouetteFX seem to export and then import into Nuke flawlessly, or at lease it's workable with minimum effort.

What's the workflow you guys are using?

Return to Fusion