Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Motion Tracking on Fusion (Pan and Scan)

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Javier Moreno

Motion Tracking on Fusion (Pan and Scan)

PostThu Sep 21, 2017 4:59 pm

Hi all,

Small point: I like the "toadiscoil" handle sorry about that. It's also unique and has a story behind it and I use that on several forums. My real name is Javier Moreno though.

I fly radio control helicopters as a hobby and use a cellphone attached to a selfie stand on a baseball cap. This is because I am usually alone when I shoot my video. I use then the video into Lightworks and upload to YouTube to track my progression in flying these helicopters.

For this reason my videos end up having the subject of interest (helicopter) out of frame or too far away if I don't zoom enough. Given my limitations of having to shoot on a single shot and usually without zoom to capture the helicopter as much as I can within frame, I want to apply "Pan and Scan" or "Motion Tracking" to my videos.

I am completely new to Fusion (just downloaded it today) and I am getting acquainted with Lightworks. I found a way to do it on Lightworks but it takes a very long time and someone suggested on the forums to use Fusion.

So basically what I want is to draw a rectangular mask exactly the size of the full frame (video is shot at 1080p 60fps) and resize it equally. That will become my new full size video (it will end up being zoomed but with the same aspect ratio as the original). Then as I move through the video I will move the mask to keep the subject of interest in the frame at all times.

So is there an easy way to do this? I played around a little bit with Tracking but I could not attach the mask to the Tracking tool and the mask moved from where I had put it initially. I am not even sure if Tracking is the proper tool.

Please advise.

Cheers,

Javier Moreno

Sander de Regt

Re: Motion Tracking on Fusion (Pan and Scan)

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 9:18 am

If I understand you correctly you want to center the image of your helicopter, so it's always visible?
What is the original video size if you want to crop out a full frame from it?
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Return to Fusion