Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Background Resolution question or "Clipmode" Question.

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Sterling Macer

Background Resolution question or "Clipmode" Question.

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 6:43 am

Hi all. Very simple question here.

When using a Merge node, how do I instruct Fusion to use the resolution of the background images input. As one of the last holdout Shake refugees, I'm basically looking for something equivalent to a layer nodes "Clipmode" setting.

Thanks.

Sander de Regt

Re: Background Resolution question or "Clipmode" Question.

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 7:17 pm

I don't understand: the background of a merge *is* the resolution of the merge. The FG is put 'on top' of whatever the size of the BG is. So if your fg is 16x16 pixels on a Full HD bg it will be tiny. If the bg is 16x16 a Full HD fg will completely 'black out' the bg.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Sterling Macer

PostMon Sep 25, 2017 8:07 pm

Yes. I realize that and that is how it was functioning for me up until now.

Since, I have discovered what's causing me the confusion are the keying tools that I insert after the fg image - namely the chroma or UltraKeyer. For some reason, after I pull the key, and after I merge the keyed fg with the bg, the Merge output image clips to the size of the fg image and every pixel outside the fg is black instead of transparent. When I passthrough the Keyer however, the comp behaves as expected - as you articulated above.

I have no doubt it something I'm simply not understanding about the functionality of the Key tools and the way Fusion likes to do things, but I just don't know what that is.

michael vorberg

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 10:36 am

The key tools don't affect the area outside of the DoD. If add a "set canvas color" after the key it should remove the black outside

Sterling Macer

PostWed Sep 27, 2017 11:20 pm

Michael, thank you very, very much! That did the trick. And I should have known, because the Shake equivalent is "Set Background Color." I don't know how I didn't see the the "Set Canvas Color" tool in the list. Anyway, again, thank you very much.

Rick van den Berg

PostThu Sep 28, 2017 9:09 am

nice tip, was also looking for this. what i did so far was taking the output from the original image and put it in the keyer or merge as a mask.

Return to Fusion