Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion Connect with Avid help please...

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Michael Heldman

Fusion Connect with Avid help please...

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 12:28 am

Using Fusion Studio 9, Avid 8.9 and Fusion Connect.

Within Avid, I apply the Fusion Connect "effect" and press "export clips". This acts as I would expect with a progress bar advancing. However, the comps produced by this procedure are only a few KB large. When opened in Fusion, they are just red frames.

So that's my first question: why can't Connect produce a proper comp for Fusion.

Second question: shouldn't the export from avid trigger the comp to open in Fusion directly? Isn't that part of the idea? Right now I have to open them manually, and as I've said they are simply red frames.

What am I doing wrong, if anything?

Sam Steti

Re: Fusion Connect with Avid help please...

PostMon Oct 23, 2017 7:52 am

Hi there,

Cannot help you specifically in Avid, but I can tell that going out from Resolve when choosing " Next Fusion Connect clip..." allows you to :
* open the comp with its loader and saver inside
* choose if you want to carry the alpha channel inside or not
* choose the location of this very new FC comp
* names and details

Then in Fu you just have to RENDER what you've modified and the result is updated in Resolve (or "refresh" is available if not).
This is the reason I don't know this "export clips" way because from Resolve, nothing has actually to be exported since the comp is made with the same source as you have in the TL, and I suspect it's the same for you : you should really refer to the manual to see what's the good procedure with Avid imho...
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Michael Heldman

PostMon Oct 23, 2017 6:56 pm

Thank you Sam for the help.

Yes, that is more or less the way it is supposed to work with the Avid plug-in. But at least for me it doesn't. A comp is created, but it is tiny (3 or 4 kb) and when opened is just red frames. I am trying to figure out if this is program error or user error.

Also, the comp is not automatically opened in fusion. I have to open it manually.

Michael

David_Cox

PostMon Oct 23, 2017 7:46 pm

I think the comp file being small is normal because it doesn't contain any footage - just a link to some footage.

Once open in Fusion, click the loader node and look at where it is pointing to to find the footage. Is there a file there? If not, that's a hint to the problem - Avid is not specifying the correct directory for some reason. If there is footage there, is it in a format that Fusion can read? If not, perhaps that's why it's coming up as red frames.

Not sure why the comp wouldn't open automatically, but I've only used Fusion Connect from Resolve, not Avid.

DC
Showreels: vimeo.com/davidcoxtv

Michael Heldman

PostMon Oct 23, 2017 8:33 pm

Thank you David. I will do some troubleshooting with your comments in mind.

Paul Ingvarsson

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 3:00 pm

I do recall from Avid you must set your timeline resolution to full green (probably 10 bit too) otherwise if you have it set to green/yello or yellow the fusion connect will render half res frames to the connect comp destination folder.
Paul Ingvarsson
StormHD
Strongbox DX-G (Dual e5-2690 v3 64GB)
RTX3090 | Decklink 4K Pro
Eizo CG3145
Resolve 17.3.1
Windows 10 Pro 19042.1202

Return to Fusion