Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Grading Fusion Connect Clip

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Matthew Lumb

Grading Fusion Connect Clip

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 12:32 pm

Hi,

Is there a way to go back to the original video once it's been converted to a Fusion Connect clip and keep the Fusion content? I shoot and edit interviews, grade the footage and then create Fusion Connect clips to add text to the video. If I wanted to change the grade on the video once it's a Fusion Connect clip, how could I do that?

I know I could save the Fusion project, re-add the source video, grade again, then load on the Fusion project, but that's pretty longwinded.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Matthew Lumb

Re: Grading Fusion Connect Clip

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 12:33 pm

PS - running Resolve Studio 14 and Fusion Free 9.

David_Cox

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 1:02 pm

What about not comping your titles in Fusion, but instead outputting the titles with an alpha channel so that Resolve does the compositing? That way, your grade stays live under the titles.
DC
Showreels: vimeo.com/davidcoxtv

Matthew Lumb

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 1:11 pm

I have tried that before but never managed to find an output format that worked. Any suggestions?

Probably worth another go now I'm using 14 and 9.

Thanks.

David_Cox

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 1:20 pm

EXR with zip compression will be pretty efficient for frames that are largely transparent, as I suspect your text frames might be.

Not sure which movie file formats support alpha on the free Fusion. The Studio version has ProRes 4444 and that works.

But Resolve can be a pain if you send back movie files from Fusion, because it locks the file at operating system level. This means that if you want to re-render over the same file for a minor change, you have to quit Resolve to unlock the file to allow it to be deleted / written over. Image sequences don't suffer from this issue.

DC

Paul Ingvarsson

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 2:08 pm

David_Cox wrote:But Resolve can be a pain if you send back movie files from Fusion, because it locks the file at operating system level. This means that if you want to re-render over the same file for a minor change, you have to quit Resolve to unlock the file to allow it to be deleted / written over. Image sequences don't suffer from this issue.

This is no longer the case with DNX in Fusion connect - only issue is that there is currently no UHD for this yet! Only HD...
Paul Ingvarsson
StormHD
Strongbox DX-G (Dual e5-2690 v3 64GB)
RTX3090 | Decklink 4K Pro
Eizo CG3145
Resolve 17.3.1
Windows 10 Pro 19042.1202

Sam Steti

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 2:29 pm

Hey,
Excuse me but why not grade the Fusion Connect Clip ? I'm on a supersized project which has me go back and forth and there's no problem at all.
If your concern is about applying a grade to the whole clip - instead of in power windows - which then would include the text, yes, grading the video before making the FC it is the way to go...
Don't forget you may also open your FC clip > save the comp as a independent one to go another way; or modify the loader file by a freshly graded one
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

David_Cox

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 2:52 pm

Paul Ingvarsson wrote:This is no longer the case with DNX in Fusion connect - only issue is that there is currently no UHD for this yet! Only HD...

Good spot Paul - thanks. As you say, only works for DnxHD though, sadly not for HR :-(

Sam Steti wrote:Excuse me but why not grade the Fusion Connect Clip

The issue then is that you grade the titles also. For example, white titles will pick up the grade you do to white balance the footage and so stop being white. Or they'll go grey if you darken the shot or get aliasy if you dramatically brighten the shot. Also it can fudge with the fades / branded logo colours etc.

DC

Chad Capeland

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 3:17 pm

It would be nice if the Create part in Resolve wasn't so destructive. A DNG sequence, for instance, could stay DNG in Fusion with a LUT applied in Fusion. No windows, but at least you'd get somewhat close for your Fusion work. Then you could finish the clip in Resolve. If you decided to change the initial grade, you'd be able to run it through Fusion again.

As it is now, you have to bake everything in on each step.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

David_Cox

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 4:59 pm

Yeah Fusion Connect is pretty basic. Perhaps a future direction for the devs would be to allow Frames to be served between Resolve and Fusion, rather than go via rendered clips. So instead of a "loader" node, we would use a "fromResolve" node which would request the current frame from wherever the Fusion Connect clip is located in the Resole timeline. That way we would get a non-destructive input. Likewise, instead of a saver node, there would be a ResolveReturn node, so that as you dragged your resolve playhead around, you are getting the "live" result of the Fusion process.

Basically, just taking the render-to-clip process out of the round trip.

DC

Chad Capeland

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 8:40 pm

Or just have the Resolve tools available inside Fusion. Even if the UI wasn't preserved, the input values and the algorithm could be identical allowing for Resolve to pass just the path to the files to Fusion and Fusion could do all of the rendering.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Return to Fusion