Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

RGB artifacts - PNG 16 bit depth

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Clayton Krause

RGB artifacts - PNG 16 bit depth

PostTue Oct 31, 2017 3:37 pm

Hey all.

Using a loader, setting the correct settings to load in a 16 bit png image via a fusion loader (generated with Photoshop - tried with and without compression).

However, the image has some artifacts in it. At first I thought it was an alpha issue, but the alpha actually is clean, just not being applied correctly within fusion. Below is an image of the RGB with how Fusion is applying the alpha as well as the alpha itself (which is clean).

For now I'm just going to bol out the alpha and use that to mask out the artifacts, but I'm curious what's going on for future reference.

Thanks,

David_Cox

Re: RGB artifacts - PNG 16 bit depth

PostTue Oct 31, 2017 5:43 pm

I presume you're referring to the light "box" on the left hand side?

When you view an image over a checkerboard in Fusion, it is showing transparent alpha as a checkerboard with the contents of the RGB channels added on top. So most likely, your image has information in the RGB channels outside of the alpha area.

When you come to composite, as long as you are not using additive keying, this information will be excluded by the keying process. For example, if you composite using a merge node with the slider set to subtractive, this will cut the RGB channels out with the alpha channel.

DC
Showreels: vimeo.com/davidcoxtv

Clayton Krause

PostTue Oct 31, 2017 5:49 pm

That's good to know! Thank you.

Sander de Regt

PostTue Oct 31, 2017 7:58 pm

In the png-loader, did you try the 'post-multiply by alpha' checkbox under the Import-tab (next to the file one)? This usually does the trick for PNGs.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Return to Fusion