Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Two or more materials in one object

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Ignacio de La Cierva

Two or more materials in one object

PostMon Dec 11, 2017 1:16 pm

Is it possible in Fusion?

For instance, a cubic 3Dshape where front faces have one material and lateral faces another one.

I'm trying to simulate a 8mm flimstrip, 10 frames long. I need very close shots, so I want it to have some thickness, then I use a 3Dshape (1 x 10 x 0.005) instead of a 3DImagePlane. If set the front face texture tiling with the image frame and the sprocket cut in the aplpha. Fine for the front face. But in the thin lateral face I get a very stretched (0.005) version of the front composition, when I need it to be a different simple material with no image, no sprocket hole in alpha, etc.

Actually, I'm painfully struggling against all material issues in Fusion. I did some shading in 3DMax. It looks so elemetntal now... All tutorial and docs I find cover the very basics only, but I'm missing a kind of global explanation of the Fusion shading/mapping system. Any suggestion welcome.

Sander de Regt

Re: Two or more materials in one object

PostMon Dec 11, 2017 1:31 pm

If you use a Cube3D tool instead of a 3Dshape you'll get a cube with seperate material for every face.
This should probably get you going.

Please remember that Fusion is not a 3D modeler. It works (pretty well) with imported geometry that already comes with UV-mapping. Its tools for adding UVs etc are rudimentary compared to a 3D package.
That doesn't mean you can't do very expressive (and impressive) stuff with it, because you can.
People have done very elaborate setups in Fusion's 3D world, but sometimes it takes a little more effort than it would in a 3D package.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Ignacio de La Cierva

PostTue Dec 26, 2017 10:26 pm

Repeated
Last edited by Ignacio de La Cierva on Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ignacio de La Cierva

PostTue Dec 26, 2017 10:27 pm

Thank you, and sorry for the delay in my answer, Sander. I was in a tight deadline till xmas eve.

I finally used a plane instead of a box, and a subtle border painted, simulating the film edge. It was too thin and hardly visible with the motion blur to invest more time on that issue. Worked fine.

Yes, I tested the 3D modelling limitations. It seems I'll need my old 3Dmax for these things but then I'll probably face new importing/exporting issues ( : A year since I migrated to Resolve/Fusion and I'm still wasting about 20% of my time fighting my inexperience.

Thanks and merry xmas!

Return to Fusion