Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Best file format, from Fusion to Resolve

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

D'amir Wanguard

Best file format, from Fusion to Resolve

PostSun Dec 17, 2017 3:42 pm

Hi everybody.

I made an motion graphics animation and now I would like to move it in to Resolve to do final colour tuning and add music. What would be the best output format from Fusion for that case?

Much obliged.

Uli Plank

Re: Best file format, from Fusion to Resolve

PostSun Dec 17, 2017 6:22 pm

Depending on your Platform, you can use ProRes or DNxHR for anything but the big screen.
For cinema delivery, image sequences are better (if you have the storage and speed for it).
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Vladimir LaFortune

PostSun Dec 17, 2017 6:23 pm

Well I always tend to keep it as native as possible which means either DPX, EXR or TIFF but sometimes that's really not necessary. If you are on Mac I guess some Prores would do just fine. Just be careful if you are using format in linear light to set gamma or linear to video LUT.

Peter Cordes

PostMon Dec 18, 2017 9:15 am

Hi,

I prefer EXR.

- It has enough color-depth for grading in Resolve.
- It also has the advantage that network rendering ist possible with EXR.
- Also it is possible to rerender only a part of the composition, after a small change of a part.
E.g.: You have a composition with 500 frames.
After having exported to Resolve, you see in Resolve there a little "fine-tuning" necessary between frame 120 and 170.
So after done that little fine-tuning in Fusion you only need to rerender frame 120 to 170 instead of having to rerender the complete composition.
- It can transport more than only Video and Alpha channels. There are also channels for z-depth, velocity, additional masks and much more.
- It supports lossless compression for saving disk-space
- Resolve also can write EXR while creating Fusion-Connect
- EXR ist also a often-used format when creating animations from maya, cinema4d, max and so on, so you can use one format for all kinds of exchange Resolve-Fusion, Maya-Fusion, Maya-Resolve, Fusion-Maya, Fusion-Resolve ...

I hope it helps.

Thanks
Peter

Sam Steti

PostMon Dec 18, 2017 3:09 pm

Hi D'amir,

If your on Mac, I'd suggest ProRes 4444 for color depth, alpha channel and more, it has all what you need...
More generally, I would also suggest that you import it into Resolve, do your tuning and if you ever need to go back to Fusion for any reason, do it by the Fusion Connect thing : potential next roundtrips would be simplified.
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Sjur Pollen

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 6:47 pm

Render in frames to a sufficient quality for your type of work. For my work 10bit dpx is plenty. (If your work is so advanced it demands exr, then I suspect you would not need to ask this question in the first place).

When in Resolve use the 'generate optimized media' to ensure smooth playback while working. That way if you have to fix/adjust part of your fusion comp, you dont have render the entire timeline again, but just the relevant frames where you made adjustments.

PS! You can not generate optimized media from a Fusion Connect clip, you will have to import the actual image sequence to Resolves media pool. This is also the only way to have the option of adjusting clip attributes (alpha settings, frame rates etc).

PS 2! Remember to re-generate optimized media in Resove after adjustments in Fusion. Otherwise you won't see any changes in your clip.
http://www.sjurpollen.com

Adelson Munhoz

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 11:26 pm

You can not generate optimized media from a Fusion Connect clip

But you can generate a cache file directly from a Fusion Connect clip by right clicking the clip and selecting "Render cache clip output"

Sjur Pollen

PostThu Dec 21, 2017 3:10 pm

Adelson Munhoz wrote:
But you can generate a cache file directly from a Fusion Connect clip by right clicking the clip and selecting "Render cache clip output"

Sure, but it is a pain to work with (may have changed in 14.1/14.2), as the cache breaks if you make changes on the timeline.
http://www.sjurpollen.com

Return to Fusion