Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Tracking a changing shape

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

James Spatz

Tracking a changing shape

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 3:05 pm

I think this may be a common need, but after 2 weeks of research, I have yet to find a direction. I need to apply corrections to a moving figure. I pick a frame and draw a polygon around the figure. At that point, I wish to track the changes in shape and position across the entire shot. I have gotten as far as publishing the points of the shape to a tracker. Here I am a bit vague as what to do next but I always get a failure to render any frames when I start to track. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Umberto Uderzo

Re: Tracking a changing shape

PostThu Dec 21, 2017 8:40 am

Tracking a changing shape over time needs some organization and shape decomposition analysis. If the moving figure is, for example, a walking person, you need to identify all the person "components" (head, arms, legs, hands and so on) and handle them with separated shapes which, hopefully, will change more their position and rotation in time instead of changing massively their shape (well, they will change shape but not-so-much if you compare to a single silouhette).

While i'm sure that a skilled Fusion user can handle the tracking in Fusion itself (i'm not a skilled Fusion user) i prefer to leverage on external tools like Mocha that will ease the process a lot.

Uli Plank

Re: Tracking a changing shape

PostSat Dec 23, 2017 1:49 am

I second Mocha for such jobs, but even then it's tedious manual work.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Return to Fusion