Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

FBX and Camera Tracker

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Rolfe Klement

FBX and Camera Tracker

PostFri Dec 29, 2017 8:11 am

I am getting much better at Fusion but need some help from the experts here on 3D comps :-)

So four questions:

- Any Raytrace type renderers or OFX plugins that will allow better 3D model rendering in Fusion?
- Is there an easy way to depth blur a FBX object in a 3D fusion scene - Is it deep Pixel Depth Blur?
- I have a FBX object looking great in a 3d tracked 4K Video file - but it looks all fake and shiny. I want to CC the model once it is in the scene - but I cant seem to affect just the 3d model once it is in the 3d scene. What is the best way to do this? I assume some CC on a 2d Render but I cant make the link work...
- I want to bump map a FBX object in Fusion - I assume I create 2 sequential materials and Bump the second one?

And finally - an AWESOME tutorial where Damien turns a 3d tracked camera into a projector using very simple expressions. The bit where he removes the pizza box in 2 min! Saved me hundreds of hours. Watch the last 8 min of this...

thanks
Rolfe
Intel i7 7820HK 2.9GHz RAM 32GB Windows 10 Home V1803 64Bit
2 x 2 TB NVME Samsung Pro
GTX 1080
www.creativesunshine.com

michael vorberg

Re: FBX and Camera Tracker

PostFri Dec 29, 2017 5:40 pm

Currently there is no external renderer for fusion available. I had a experimental version with 3delight several years ago with fusion 6.4

If you use the openGL renderer you can render dof directly. Look for the accumulation settings in the renderer options
Or you render a z/depth pass and use a depth blur node

If you render the fbx without the background you can easily color correct it and then merge it on the background. Maybe look first at your material settings to get close to the desired result
Or you assign a object / material id to the fbx/material, activate that channels in the renderer options and mask the color correction nodes by this mask

Most of the materials in fusion have a input for the bump map

Rolfe Klement

PostSat Dec 30, 2017 6:59 pm

Great- thanks. I will have a play and check
Intel i7 7820HK 2.9GHz RAM 32GB Windows 10 Home V1803 64Bit
2 x 2 TB NVME Samsung Pro
GTX 1080
www.creativesunshine.com

Bryan Ray

PostSun Dec 31, 2017 9:22 pm

You may need to turn the accumulation effects quality up above the slider's max value to get smooth results if you require a large blur. Just type a larger number in there to break its limit (if you didn't already know that). Also, you can see the camera's plane of focus if, in the Camera3D node, you spin down the Control Visibility section and activate Plane of Focus.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Jed Mitchell

PostSat Jan 06, 2018 2:08 am

Rolfe Klement wrote:- Is there an easy way to depth blur a FBX object in a 3D fusion scene - Is it deep Pixel Depth Blur?

I find the DepthBlur node to be pretty unacceptable in Fusion, and while the Accumulation Effect DOF in the OpenGL renderer can get you semi-accurate blurring (seeing otherwise occluded BG samples through scattered FG samples), it lacks a lot of the features you'd want to simulate real lens/aperture blurs.

An alternate approach is to combine a ZDepth pass to mask your own VariBlur / Defocus, as demonstrated by Simon Ubsdell in this tutorial:

It isn't "true" depth blurring because it's still not going get you samples of any occluded areas, but it's another tool in the kit and it gives you a relatively good mix of controls.

Rolfe Klement wrote:- I have a FBX object looking great in a 3d tracked 4K Video file - but it looks all fake and shiny. I want to CC the model once it is in the scene - but I cant seem to affect just the 3d model once it is in the 3d scene. What is the best way to do this? I assume some CC on a 2d Render but I cant make the link work...

For the most part it feels like far more effort than it's worth to fight Fusion's built in renderers to achieve believable lighting & shading, but at least for some shaders it's doable and you can absolutely color correct your materials both before their application to an object and after the render using selective Object ID & Material ID attributes (the explanation of this workflow is kind of scattered throughout the manual but there's a good run-down on p378).

There are lots of tutorials on the material workflow, but ones that clicked for me when I first started trying to understand Fusion's shading model was this series from eyeon, which is old but still good for learning the basic workflow:

"It's amazing what you can do when you don't know you can't do it."

Systems:
R16.2.3 | Win10 | i9 7940X | 128GB RAM | 1x RTX Titan | 960Pro cache disk
R16.2.3 | Win10 | i9 7940X | 128GB RAM | 1x 2080 Ti | 660p cache disk

Return to Fusion