Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion workflow for (live) Broadcast Graphics??

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Xtreemtec

Fusion workflow for (live) Broadcast Graphics??

PostWed Jan 10, 2018 1:23 pm

In the Live broadcasting section of this forum we had a discussion about graphics software for use in live broadcast enviroments.

Then somebody came with the question about how to set up fusion for this as BMD Advertises Fusion for Broadcast Graphics. 8-)
The topic about this discussion

So i thoughed i would open a discussion here were all the Fusion users are. ;)
I put a few questions in blue at the end of my post were i would like some awnsers too. :)

From here a duplicate of my post that i did in that forum.
============================================================================
HTB wrote:Is it possible to do something like this in Fusion 9, like they say at the bottom of the page in the broadcast graphics section of the black magic fusion site? I can't find any tutorials about it anywhere, so if you know any forums or tutorials about this I would be really happy if you could link me to those sites. Thanks!

I guess you are talking about this info. Fusion for broadcast graphics.
While Fusion is mainly a compositing tool to make graphics and animations..
I was suprised to see this function..
BMD Website Fusion wrote:Automate Broadcast Graphics

With Fusion, you can write scripts to automate repetitive graphics! You can even update them live and in realtime! For example, you can use a Python or Lua script, along with a simple text document, to automatically create and render updated broadcast graphics, titles and animations with things such as the weather, sport scores, program listings, news headlines and more! Now you can quickly render out up to the minute graphics and get them on air in seconds!

I wonder how to setup such enviroment. As Fusion 9 is free for download. But you need to pay $299 for the Studio version that you need for realtime playback on Decklink cards.
Here is the Compare for Studio player functions. All features can be found at this link

It is an enourmes list of functions. I list a few here from the Studio player that are not supported in the free version but are under Fusion 9 Studio $299
  • Playback of any format support in Fusion including EXR. New
  • Playback via BMD Deck Link and UltraStudio. New
  • Single layer timeline with ability to play a number of shots. New
  • Set the In/Out trim for each shot. New
  • Color format control allows for consistent display of shots from different formats. New
  • Annotation notes can be typed on each clip, version, and project. New
  • Audio, Scratch track and audio per clip. New
  • Collaboration, Multiple Artists can access the same projects different machine. New
  • Remote sync makes multiple Studio Players follow the master, for scrubbing, playing and collaboration around the studio and around the world. New
  • Shot Versions are stored in the same project to allow for quick access to previous work and for comparison of progress. New
  • Guide overlays, customisable to show monitor/title safety and crops. New
  • Scriptable automation tasks using the Fusion scripting engine to control features. New

Wonder if there will be a remote software to trigger playouts with key-fill option. Looks like they are working very hard to integrate this software to have a playback side to run in conjunction with the Atem in some point of time. :)

=============================================================================
  • So will it do a Key - Fill output?
  • Any tutorials on scripts for automation?
  • Any way to trigger playout of a few different graphics from the software or remote?
  • Can or will there be an Atem integration in the future to trigger playback of a graphic?
Last edited by Xtreemtec on Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

alan bovine

Re: Fusion workflow for (live) Broadcast Graphics??

PostWed Jan 10, 2018 1:42 pm

Fusion is first and foremost an offline compositing tool, its not ment for realtime graphics.

For something like that, use Touchdesigner, VIZRT etc. There are better tools for realime on screen graphics.
Fusion video tutorials : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTCeDas53OEcWcRujkQiwLg/videos?view_as=subscriber
Fusion Tools : https://github.com/statixVFX/stx_tools
Nuke 2 Fusion nodes : https://github.com/statixVFX/nuke2fusion

Xtreemtec

PostWed Jan 10, 2018 1:56 pm

I completely agree with you. And did put it in my post that Fusion is mainly a compositing tool.

But BMD does advertise on there website that it can do Automate broadcast graphics.
With scripts that will do realtime renders and updates of broadcast visuals.
Now you can quickly render out up to the minute graphics and get them on air in seconds!

So it looks like BMD does want to aim on graphics layout and playback from their software to pick that piece of the market too.
So BMD tell me how? ;)

And will there be a future to update to this to expand the software for realtime playout of graphics and overlays.

Running the Studio version ($299) on a server with decklink card to playout video on your Atem.
While production has the free version on a desktop somewere and changing the files on the fly. (Linked Fusion was 1 of the new features if i remember correctly.)

I mean there are software programs very capable of running overlays like Chrworks and Blue Titler. Some costing over 2,5K.. So i guess BMD is looking into some integration..

Davinci Resolve was once a Colorist program.. Now it is a complete editing suite capable of running 4K and RAW.. Running tracking nodes etc etc. For the price of a month subscription of the Adobe package.. ;)
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

alan bovine

PostWed Jan 10, 2018 2:15 pm

Fusion by nature isn't a realtime tool. Its not designed for it. Sure it can do a lot of stuff semi realtime, but thats not what the core is built for.

They toot the titling and broadcast stuff because you can automate and generate a lot of content wtih ease. But theres only one timeline, one cache, one playback engine. (give or take)

Seriously, look at Touchdesigner if you want something that has the flexibility of node based compositing (and 3d) to do realtime graphics.

Use the right tools for the right job.
Fusion video tutorials : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTCeDas53OEcWcRujkQiwLg/videos?view_as=subscriber
Fusion Tools : https://github.com/statixVFX/stx_tools
Nuke 2 Fusion nodes : https://github.com/statixVFX/nuke2fusion

Vladimir LaFortune

PostWed Jan 10, 2018 8:29 pm

Never tried to work Fusion in real-time and I'm not sure how reliable scripting can be for such thing, it could be though.

If I may I would like to add my 2 cents to whole real time thing. Touchdesigner will make you commit suicide if it's your first venture into real time motion graphics or stage design. Ventuz and VizRT are much more friendlier solutions for such adaptation.

Hank Highfill

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 11:09 pm

I'd like to know more about this too. They mention it as a capability.. it'd be nice to know what the process it.

TouchDesigner, Blue Titler, Vizrt.. etc may be the 'right tools' currently, but they're all much more expensive too.

hhelmbold

PostThu May 03, 2018 5:25 pm

The question here is not IF Fusion 9 is the right tool for the job, the question is how can they advertise something if the software cannot do it? This is false advertising.

Chad Capeland

PostThu May 03, 2018 5:49 pm

Which part is false? Everything listed is there.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Terence Kearns

PostThu May 10, 2018 1:47 am

There is NO false advertising, only wishful interpretation.

"Now you can quickly render out up to the minute graphics and get them on air in seconds!"

READ WHAT IT SAYS

"up to the minute" DOES NOT EQUAL "real-time"

The Deck Link thing is supposed to be for real-time preview whilst editing. The key issue here is RELIABILITY and that is going to degrade as complexity increases and it will also depend on hardware. There is no way a sane company would warrant something like that for real-time live environment for anything that is mission-critical.

That sort of reliability will always cost money - and for good reason.

Hey, look. I love it when people try to push things to the limit, but if you want to go bleeding edge with this implementation (Deck link to ATEM), expect to bleed. Some slight bleeding might acceptable if your mission is not so critical (ie, you don't have millions watching your realtime output).

I'm learning Fusion scripting right now and maybe when I've learned enough, I will create such a tutorial. On the face of it, the task looks truly trivial, but I am literally only just learning what LUA is.

Terence Kearns

PostThu May 10, 2018 1:50 am

I've never used Ventuz, but I came across it in my research for multi-panel displays (digital signage).

Would be interesting to see their pricing structure.

hhelmbold

PostThu Aug 01, 2019 5:27 pm

Terence Kearns wrote:There is NO false advertising, only wishful interpretation.

"Now you can quickly render out up to the minute graphics and get them on air in seconds!"

READ WHAT IT SAYS

"up to the minute" DOES NOT EQUAL "real-time"

Ok - I admit you are correct with the interpretation of real-time and maybe that got a bit off topic. I think having a tutorial on how to use the python script to achieve the "up to the minute" updates is what we are asking for.

"With Fusion, you can write scripts to automate repetitive graphics! You can even update them live and in realtime! For example, you can use a Python or Lua script, along with a simple text document, to automatically create and render updated broadcast graphics, titles and animations with things such as the weather, sport scores, program listings, news headlines and more!"

This is not live, but rendering sports scores and displaying that is what I am looking for

Xtreemtec

PostFri Aug 02, 2019 7:19 am

And if fusion would be able to "play out / Render" to a decklink card. It could be used in a live situation. ;)

Return to Fusion