Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Strange effects with Primatte and polygon Mask

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

paolo vidaich

Strange effects with Primatte and polygon Mask

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 11:25 pm

Hi to all,

I' m not expert about Fusion (and compositing in general) so I'm sorry if my request / doubt is simple (as I imagine).

I have a problem about the combination between Primatte (or Ultrakeyer) tool and a Polygon mask.

In other words, I take a footage with a green screen, and I apply Primatte tool to remove green without problem.
Since I want to remove some objects from the footage, I use also a polygon Mask, but when I connect it to Primatte tool, the green screen reappears again outside the masked area (or inside the area if I flag 'Invert mask').

I attach two screenshots showing an example before and after connecting the mask.

So I wuold like to ask you where is my mistake...How can use a mask on a keyed footage mantaining the transparent background?

Thank you in advance.

Paolo
Attachments
primatte.jpg
Primatte without mask connected
primatte.jpg (277.73 KiB) Viewed 552 times
primatte_mask.jpg
Primatte with mask connected
primatte_mask.jpg (283.13 KiB) Viewed 552 times

Okke Verbart

Re: Strange effects with Primatte and polygon Mask

PostTue Jan 23, 2018 6:47 am

Hi Paolo - you should connect the mask to the garbage mask input instead of the effect mask input. Currently you have got it connected to the effect mask --> this limits the effect (i.e. the green screen) to this mask to this area (rather than acting like a garbage mask and taking it out altogether).

EDIT: and in your case you also inverted the mask, so it only then performs the green screen effect on the image outside of your mask.
www.ablackbirdcalledsue.com

Return to Fusion