Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Timeline clip won't extend???

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

KenTanker0us

Timeline clip won't extend???

PostMon Jan 29, 2018 10:03 pm

Hello friends, still learning Fusion here.

I've got a Merge node in the timeline and I can't drag out its end so it will last the whole comp.

Why can't I do this? I can find no mention of this in the manual. Any help is appreciated.

Ken

Bryan Ray

Re: Timeline clip won't extend???

PostTue Jan 30, 2018 12:38 am

The Merge's timeline extent is determined by whatever is connected to its Background input. If the footage connected to the gold input is shorter than the timeline, then the Merge cannot be extended.

There are three ways around it:
1) In the Loader, use Hold Last Frame to extend the Loader's duration.
2) Use a TimeStretcher right before the Merge to freeze the footage on its last frame.
3) Make a Background node, put it into the background input of a Merge and the footage into the Foreground, then put the output of that Merge into your other Merge. Now, the extents (and resolution and color depth) of both Merges will be determined by the Background rather than by the Loader.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

KenTanker0us

PostTue Jan 30, 2018 7:48 pm

Bryan, thanks a lot. That is super helpful.

Great forum.

Bryan Ray wrote:The Merge's timeline extent is determined by whatever is connected to its Background input. If the footage connected to the gold input is shorter than the timeline, then the Merge cannot be extended.

There are three ways around it:
1) In the Loader, use Hold Last Frame to extend the Loader's duration.
2) Use a TimeStretcher right before the Merge to freeze the footage on its last frame.
3) Make a Background node, put it into the background input of a Merge and the footage into the Foreground, then put the output of that Merge into your other Merge. Now, the extents (and resolution and color depth) of both Merges will be determined by the Background rather than by the Loader.

Saad Shah

PostSat May 25, 2019 4:50 pm

I think I have the same issue. I started by dropping a background generator into the timeline in the edit page, turned it into a fusion composition and headed into the fusion tab. Now I am done making my comp but I cant extend the comp duration in the edit page.

What am I doing wrong?
Youtube Channel: Gargoyles At Work

Saad Shah

PostSun Jun 02, 2019 5:48 pm

I found a solution. In DR 16, you dont use generators. You can drag and drop a fusion composition into the timeline and you can drag the duration at will regardless of your comp.
Youtube Channel: Gargoyles At Work

Return to Fusion