Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

3D tracking multiple planes?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

pict1000

3D tracking multiple planes?

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 10:15 pm

As far as I can tell from trying to piece together instructional videos, Fusion 9 3D tracking is based, in part, on establishing a perfectly level ground plane. Correct? But what if I want to track multiple planes simultaneously? For instance, drone footage over residential rooftops. Roofs consist of multiple/complex planes, (think pyramids, for example).

If I wanted to "stick" multiple objects on multiple sides of multiple rooftops, would this even be possible? Is there software capable of this?

Sander de Regt

Re: 3D tracking multiple planes?

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 10:39 pm

Hi Keith,

Welcome to the forum. It seems as though you would benefit from watching (and reading about) some general tutorials about 3D tracking.
Basically what a 3D tracker (any 3D tracker) does is: trying to reconstruct a camera in relation to the real world it's in, so that you can add other objects to your scene.
It does so by finding trackable points and converting them to 'real world' coordinates (they don't have to match in scale, since it's only camera angle that truly matters in this respect, but that's a slightly more advanced topic).
What you're left with is a 3D represenation of your scene i.e. the rooftops. There will be markers that correspond to your real world objects - on every level, not just the ground plane - and if you put 3D objects in that scene they will match with the real scene.

Look on Youtube for some Syntheyes 101 tutorials. This is for a different package (Syntheyes is a dedicated 3D tracker) but the creator of the software provides some very good entry level information that is also - partially - applicable to Fusion.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Hendrik Proosa

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 10:45 pm

All true 3D trackers (except some specialty versions, like planar solver in Mocha and similar special mode in Syntheyes) don't make any real assumptions about feature layout in scene before solving (if no soft or hard constraints are used). Ground plane is established after the solve, it is basically just a transform that moves, rotates and scales the solution to fit some set parameter (align some set three points to XY plane etc). This orientation is just a convenience to establish reasonable scale, position and orientation of the scene, nothing more. It is easier to place your 3D objects to scene if ground is level in 3D scene and up is actually up.

So, in your example, it doesn't matter one bit for solver if there are multiple planes or no plane at all.
I do stuff.

pict1000

PostThu Feb 15, 2018 11:03 pm

Thx Hendrik and Sander, both very helpful! I will check out Syntheyes' tuts for sure.

So I'm guessing that I could use Fusion's 3D ImagePlane tool to stick 2D artwork onto the multiple facets of rooftops. Am I right?

Sander de Regt

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 10:09 am

Yes. That is correct.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

pict1000

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 12:41 pm

Great! Thx again Sander :D

Return to Fusion