Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion9 OpenGL render performance on Linux

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

sg_x_2

Fusion9 OpenGL render performance on Linux

PostSun Mar 25, 2018 12:43 pm

Hello, all.

I'm finding that the render performance of Fusion 9 (free edition) on my Linux host is very slow. I first realized this when I was following a YouTube tutorial posted a while back and the video showed their render speed at 15-ish FPS, and I was getting 1-2 FPS.

This surprised me as Fusion is correctly finding my NVIDIA card - Preferences/OpenCL shows:
opencl.png
GTX 1060 w/6GB detected
opencl.png (14.83 KiB) Viewed 1015 times

I am using the NVIDIA drivers, the OpenCL settings in Fusion are: OpenCL - Enable, Caching - Full, Device - GPU

The UI elements are snappy, and things look good otherwise, but OpenGL rendering is very slow - I think worse than my old comptuer with a six year old NVIDIA card...

Can anyone advise? Thanks!

thoralf

Re: Fusion9 OpenGL render performance on Linux

PostWed Mar 28, 2018 12:14 pm

try disabling open cl for all tools and set renderer only to opengl.

sg_x_2

Re: Fusion9 OpenGL render performance on Linux

PostSat Mar 31, 2018 3:36 pm

thoralf wrote:try disabling open cl for all tools and set renderer only to opengl.

Thanks for the suggestion! I spent a few hours yesterday trying to do this. I used every combination of the Open CL tools radio buttons for both the "Global and Defaults Settings" and for my Composition itself. It refuses to render faster than 1.0 seconds per frame, usually 1.1 seconds per frame.

I tried forcing the "Device:" option to the GPU, then tried the CPU, then used the Select: dropdown to select the GPU and CPU (pthread?) options explicitly. Interestingly, the GPU and CPU live render times are EXACTLY the same.

My glmark-es score is 11850, so I know my OpenGL is working fine. I'm not using wayland, so that's not a factor.

Hmmmm

Return to Fusion