Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion export/import project

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Chris Tempel

Fusion export/import project

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 9:14 pm

When I export a Fusion project from within Resolve 15 for archive or sharing purposes, I'm running into two issues. If I try to open the script in Fusion 9, it doesn't know what the Media In/Out nodes are and brings them in blank with no footage. If I try to import the script into a new Resolve project, it tells me "Not a valid clip for importing composition" before I even get to select my file.

Is this something that will be more developed once out of beta, or am I missing something?

Bryan Ray

Re: Fusion export/import project

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 12:42 am

There's still a little functionality missing in the exchange between Fusion and Resolve. I think there's already some efforts going on in the community to script some solutions to that. I've got my hands a bit full, but here are some script snippets:

Code: Select all
for i, tool in ipairs(composition:GetToolList(false, "Loader")) do
    dummy = composition:AddTool("Fields")
    dummy:SetData("filepath", tool.Clip[fu.TIME_UNDEFINED])
end

Code: Select all
-- This is untested. Resolve is quite crashy for me on Win7, so I didn't even try.
for i, tool in ipairs(composition:GetToolList(false, "Fields")) do
    filein = composition:AddTool("MediaIn")
    filein.Clip = tool:GetData("filepath")
end

I'm not sure what the actual clip field for a MediaIn node is, and it's possible you'd need to add it to the Media Pool somehow rather than adding it directly to the Fusion Flow.

You'd also want to connect the Fields nodes into the flow at the appropriate place, just downstream of each Loader and reconnect the MediaIns to them on the Resolve end. I used Fields because it's fairly unlikely to be in use these days, so the script probably won't find any spurious nodes without custom data.

Savers are another story. At the moment, and as far as I am aware (my knowledge is admittedly limited), the only valid output from a ReFusion Flow is the single MediaOut node that leads back into the Edit Timeline, so there's no reason to mess around with converting Savers at this point.

Regarding your second issue, a Fusion Flow can't exist without an associated clip on the Timeline. Put your plate in the Media Pool, and add it to the timeline. Then you should be able to import a Fusion comp, with the previously noted errors on your Loaders and Savers.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Chris Tempel

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 3:49 pm

I appreciate the reply. I'm a Nuke guy trying to broaden my skillset and make our workflow easier by giving Fusion a shot again. I'll give your suggestions to the first issue a try.

With thousands of takes, the second one is a bit tricky. I may have to get the editor to find the shot and load it since he is more familiar with the folder structure he set up. Thanks

Bryan Ray

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 6:03 pm

You have a path to the plate in your Fusion comp, though, right? Just locate that clip in your file explorer and import it to the Media Pool. That will give you the base you need to create the Fusion clip.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

ddaedalus

PostFri Jan 15, 2021 11:07 pm

I found that creating a new Fusion Clip and putting it in the time THEN going to the Fusion tab, File–>Import Fusion Composition worked for me.

I think the issue before was my Fusion comp that I was trying to import into wasn't [i] in a timeline. [/i]
DHPD

Return to Fusion