Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Best practice for multiple shots - All in one project?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Josh Thurston

Best practice for multiple shots - All in one project?

PostSun Apr 15, 2018 12:50 pm

Hi, I was wondering what the best practice is when it comes to working with multiple shots - should I create a project per shot, or can I have several in one project with multiple savers?

For example, I have 40+ EXR sequences which are all essentially different camera angles that will share the same background (albeit from different angles/cameras)
The project will not be to complex; essentially assembling AOVs and adding said background/3D Camera data

Should I:

1) Break up the shots individually? (1 project per shot)
    2) Group the shots by angle/scene? (probably 5 projects containing ~8 shots)
    3) Make one master project (typical After Effects workflow)

Thanks

Kays Alatrakchi

Re: Best practice for multiple shots - All in one project?

PostSun Apr 15, 2018 3:00 pm

I think it all depends if you're planning on re-using the same nodes on different shots. For instance, on a recent project I worked on, there were a bunch of shots that needed a background replacement. The Matte and BG image were the same for all of them so it made sense to keep them all in the same session.
>>Kays Alatrakchi
Filmmaker based in Los Angeles, CA
http://moviesbykays.com

Resolve 18.1.4, Mac OS X 12.6.3 (Monterey), iMac Pro 64Gb RAM, Decklink Mini 4K, LG C9

Mac Book Air M1, Mac OS X 12.6 (Monterey), 16Gb RAM

Bryan Ray

PostSun Apr 15, 2018 3:09 pm

I usually use a comp file per shot. That makes some automation easier, and you don't have to manage your render ranges as much.

I think that's "most common practice" but not necessarily best, depending on your needs. I can see some advantages to having everything in one comp: If you have instanced tools or expressions, you'd only need to update them once to make a revision everywhere. You'd save time opening and closing comps, although the larger multi-shot comp would take longer to open to begin with (and after every crash).

With multiple shots in one comp, you'll have to set the render range per Saver. I had thought you'd need a script to do that, but Chad pointed out (https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckl ... nge#p14389) that just changing the range of the Saver in the Timeline suffices.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Josh Thurston

PostSun Apr 15, 2018 3:21 pm

Great thanks for the replies (and script).

I'll group a few shots together and see how things work out. The background is very abstract so I could probably bake/load it in as footage and thus any changes to it will have a knock-on effect that way.

Thanks guys

Glenn Sakatch

PostSat Apr 21, 2018 4:23 pm

One of the cool things about Fusion is the ability to render multiple things at once...if your system and comps can handle it.

It might not work great for huge keys and particle sessions and 76 node layers, but if you are building versions of text overlays for commercials (different price points) or lower thirds, then you can set them all up in one comp, use the common attributes on several trees, have the different text+ tools feeding for each version, and give each setup its own saver. Hit render and they will all blast through together.

There used to be a script to incorporate an excel spreadsheet into the creation of lower thirds. (it is still floating around, but i'm not sure it works anymore).

Downside becomes doing changes to one of them. If you don't want to re-render everything again, you will have to go and disable the saver nodes on the items that you don't want to re-render.

It all depends on the type of project you are working on.

Return to Fusion