Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Combining Multiple Polygon masks

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

michaeldhead

Combining Multiple Polygon masks

PostThu Apr 19, 2018 6:05 pm

[Edit: Solved!]

I tried searching for this, but I couldn't find the solution.

I am trying to apply a Polygon mask within a polygon mask - my shot is a man with his hand on his hip, and I need to see the clean plate for the shot behind him and through his arm. I've got the Polygon mask for his shape (not green screen), but I don't know how to create another mask for the area inside his arm. I have tried using Merge nodes to combine two Polygon masks, but that didn't work, and I tried:

source(background and foreground) --> merge1 <-- polygon1 <--polygon2 || merge1 --> media out

as well as

source --> merge1 with polygon1 --> merge2 with polygon2 --> media out

I hope those make sense - I'm just learning Fusion and I'm actually liking it much better (so far) than After Effects.

How do I use multiple polygon masks on one clip? Thank you!
Last edited by michaeldhead on Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com
producer/writer/director/DP

Bryan Ray

Re: Combinign Multiple Polygon masks

PostThu Apr 19, 2018 6:10 pm

Just plug one Polygon into the Effect Mask input on the other. You can chain as many as you like that way, and you can combine different kinds of masks together, like Polygons with Bitmap nodes. When you've made the connection, you'll also get a Paint Mode control in the downstream masks that let you determine how they combine together.

A Bitmap has two inputs that you can use to combine two branches of roto together.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

michaeldhead

Re: Combinign Multiple Polygon masks

PostThu Apr 19, 2018 6:25 pm

Perfect! Thank you! I had to try out the different paint modes, and Invert is the winner! Thank you for the quick response - like I said, I'm still learning, but once I started to wrap my head around how the nodes work together, I think it's actually more flexible than After Effects.

Thank you!
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com
producer/writer/director/DP

iolanthe

Re: Combining Multiple Polygon masks

PostThu Jul 25, 2019 8:51 am

Hi, I am very new to Davinci. I am trying to use multiple (4) polygon nodes each with a garbage matt. One node works fine, two nodes does not work and my keyed area disappears.

Any advice on how to use more than one polygon - for dummies?

Thanks

Return to Fusion