Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

OpenCL and Windows possible fix?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Kel Philm

OpenCL and Windows possible fix?

PostTue Apr 24, 2018 7:32 am

So I noticed the other day in my console the following tip/message upon startup:

The functionality of OpenGL rendering depends on the hardware. To provide a maximum range of compatibility there are some environment variables that can force Fusion to use specific Cg-profiles. If you have some trouble rendering a scene using OpenGL or displaying it in the viewport, try to set the environment variables CGGL_LATEST_FRAGMENT_PROFILE = arbfp1 and/or CGGL_LATEST_VERTEX_PROFILE = arbvp1

Now I have been having a lot of stability problems with Fusion on my Windows setup over the last year or so, I have turned off OpenCL which helped somewhat but still crashing every 20-30 mins. So I thought 'what the hell' and added the environment variables to my PC and switched back on OpenCL (So I could use Junes cool noise Tool!).

I have not had a crash for 2 days, even tools like CornerPositioner which would previously crash my system at the drop of a hat is now playing nicely? I know a few of you out there had similar problems to me so I would be interested to see if anyone else has had any luck with these changes?

michael vorberg

Re: OpenCL and Windows possible fix?

PostTue Apr 24, 2018 3:47 pm

OpenGL and OpenCL are 2 different things!

OpenGL can be used by the renderer3D, while OpenCL is used by many other tools.

Kel Philm

Re: OpenCL and Windows possible fix?

PostTue Apr 24, 2018 9:32 pm

Perhaps I should've said OpenCL/OpenGL Fix.

"... both OpenCL and CUDA can and do utilize the OpenGL system."

Simply put, OpenCL is more about parallel processing and OpenGL is more about display.

They both hit the GPU and interoperation is possible so I would think likely so it stands to reason that one could be affecting the other?

Simple reference for anyone interested.

https://www.videomaker.com/article/c15/19313-cuda-vs-opencl-vs-opengl

Either way Fusion still has not crashed and I am very happy!

Return to Fusion