Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Node Template???

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Luke_Sheldon

Node Template???

PostSun Apr 29, 2018 9:39 pm

Hi,

How do I save a Fusion node tree so that I can use it again on a different clip? I know you can copy and paste a bunch of nodes, but if I'm working in a different project is there any way to have it handy as a template? I also need each node to be fully editable (just like I've copied and pasted).

I've checked the manual and online and I can't find exactly what I'm looking for. Macros don't seem to be it and some tutorial mentioned bins but I can't find where to open 'bins'.

I'm using the latest Resolve 15 with Fusion tab. I am very new so hopefully it's something simple I've missed.

Thanks.

Sander de Regt

Re: Node Template???

PostSun Apr 29, 2018 9:56 pm

You can group them and then save the group as a *.setting file that can be reused (right click on the group and select 'save settings')
I am not sure where to store those in a way that Resolve will see them though.
All the items in the 'template' section are also settings, so that's where I'd start.
To test I created a new folder in the templates folder and put my group in there.
After restarting Resolve I could click on my group and it was added to the comp.
So I think it will work if you take this approach.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

d_asap

PostFri Aug 31, 2018 3:07 pm

interesting. i tried so, but never get into it. how do i load the setting, i mean, should i make same composite structure, group it, then load the setting?

Theodor Groeneboom

PostFri Aug 31, 2018 7:32 pm

select all the nodes in fusion, copy paste into a textfile, save it as WHATEVER.setting, and put it into your fusion prefs home folder under comps:, macro: or whatever. Alternatively you can always drag and drop your WHATEVER.setting into your fusion flow/comp. Same thing.

Fusion has TONS of way of reusing setups....

d_asap

PostThu Sep 06, 2018 7:32 am

Theodor Groeneboom wrote:select all the nodes in fusion, copy paste into a textfile, save it as WHATEVER.setting, and put it into your fusion prefs home folder under comps:, macro: or whatever. Alternatively you can always drag and drop your WHATEVER.setting into your fusion flow/comp. Same thing.

Fusion has TONS of way of reusing setups....

wow, IT WORKS! thanks for solving my prob ;)

cybernetix

PostSun Aug 18, 2019 6:02 pm

Ive tried to "save all as" but nothing happens, no dialog box opens up. im on linux mint. are the nodes locked somehow?

dionbl

PostTue Aug 25, 2020 5:36 am

cybernetix wrote:Ive tried to "save all as" but nothing happens, no dialog box opens up. im on linux mint. are the nodes locked somehow?

@cybernetic have you figured out the Linux issue here? I can't save on linux either. I've done lots of searching and can't seem to find an answer to this one
Resolve Studio 16.2.7, Ubuntu 20.04.1, 64GB RAM, AMD-R9-3950X, RTX2080ti 11GB (Nvidia Binary 450.80.02)

Linux Experienced - Davinci n00b - Creative Wanabe

TheBloke

PostTue Aug 25, 2020 2:24 pm

dionbl wrote:
cybernetix wrote:Ive tried to "save all as" but nothing happens, no dialog box opens up. im on linux mint. are the nodes locked somehow?

@cybernetic have you figured out the Linux issue here? I can't save on linux either. I've done lots of searching and can't seem to find an answer to this one
1. Select all the nodes on the Fusion flow.
2. Copy them (Control-C)
3. Open a text editor (separate from Resolve - just whatever text editor your distro comes with)
4. Paste them (Control-V)
5. Save the text file with a .setting extension.

Or, a different method:

1. In Resolve's Fusion page, go to the File menu and choose Export Fusion Composition. A dialogue should appear in which you can specify the name and location. The file will be saved with a .comp extension.

Either of these methods should work in any version of DaVinci Resolve, on any OS. If you're having trouble, can you report which step specifically is causing trouble.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

feistyporter

PostWed Sep 02, 2020 4:59 pm

Also struggling with this. I have tried creating a macro, but when I load the macro it just says "media offline" and I don't see a way to reconnect it. The method for reconnecting video clips doesn't seem to apply. When I create a settings file and drag it in, it doesn't seem to do anything. It creates a node but it doesn't preserve its function.

Bryan Ray

PostWed Sep 02, 2020 5:47 pm

Don't put a MediaIn node in a macro—MediaIn is tied to a clip in the Media Pool, not to a file on disk. If you need a macro that loads an external asset, use a Loader node instead, as it won't break its connection to an asset that isn't in the Media Pool.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

didier.villevalois

PostSat Dec 05, 2020 2:34 pm

TheBloke wrote:1. Select all the nodes on the Fusion flow.
2. Copy them (Control-C)
3. Open a text editor (separate from Resolve - just whatever text editor your distro comes with)
4. Paste them (Control-V)
5. Save the text file with a .setting extension.

"Setting > Save as..." doesn't trigger any dialog for me either on Linux.
Your technique saved my life! Thanks TheBloke!!
Resolve 16.2.7 – Fedora 33 – Wayland – Kernel 5.10.22-200.fc33 – opencl-amd-20.45.1188099-3.fc33
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X – AMD Radeon RX 5700 – 64GB DDR4 3200 – Samsung 980 Pro 1TB

Return to Fusion