Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

PNG alpha

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

alvanh

PNG alpha

PostWed May 09, 2018 9:31 am

Hello
My question is relative to Fusion in resolve 15.
Fusion look easy at the beginning but when I want to make simple stuff, I spent hours to figure it out.
Here my question.
IN RESOLVE
A have a background image and over a png image. I see the foreground with alpha over the background
I make a new fusion clip with these two.
IN FUSION
I open this clip. The pictures are merge but the transparency is gone.

From there I tested a lot of things
I gone to the media pool/clip attributes menu/ Change alpha from strait to multiply... Nothing append
Try the bitmap thing ... find nothing
Try the Mate control ... find nothing
Try the channel Boolean thing... find nothing.

Why this thing is not obvious ?

Try too to look in the Davinci resolve ref manual ... It's missing a lot of subject. (Where I can get a full ref manual with everything)
I wanted to know witch type a file could be imported in Resolve /fusion

Thank you

Chad Capeland

Re: PNG alpha

PostWed May 09, 2018 1:20 pm

Post in the Resolve forum. If it doesn't save alpha, nothing Fusion or anything else can do about it.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Bryan Ray

PostThu May 10, 2018 4:43 am

PNGs are typically not premultiplied (straight alpha), but unlike most software, Fusion doesn't automatically premultiply them for you upon import. It is frequently necessary to place an AlphaMultiply node immediately after the Loader/MediaIn.

I'm not sure if Fusion in Resolve handles PNG the same way that Fusion standalone does, but the AlphaMultiply is an easy solution to try.

If that doesn't work, can you share the PNG you're having trouble with? I haven't been able to reproduce your problem with any of the random PNGs I tried.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

professorWM

PostThu May 10, 2018 1:25 pm

Hi,
maybe I am not right and do not understand it right but could it be the same problem as I have? Now when I am putting a PNG into Fusion it seems that even when I make it a compound clip it is only the first frame which contains the image (and also the transparency information). Therefore I get unwanted results on any of the following frames as a side effect.
I have tried to fix it but without success. So maybe a solution for this would also be a solution for the request?
Well I am noob on Fusion. Hope this is not a dump question. :)

michael vorberg

PostFri May 11, 2018 9:58 am

professorWM wrote:Hi,
maybe I am not right and do not understand it right but could it be the same problem as I have? Now when I am putting a PNG into Fusion it seems that even when I make it a compound clip it is only the first frame which contains the image (and also the transparency information). Therefore I get unwanted results on any of the following frames as a side effect.
I have tried to fix it but without success. So maybe a solution for this would also be a solution for the request?
Well I am noob on Fusion. Hope this is not a dump question. :)

this is a know issue in fusion for resolve. the MediaIn node only has the length of the imported sequence not the length in the timeline.
to fix this add a timestretcher or timespeed node after the MediaIn to loop the frame over the whole lenght of the timeline

professorWM

PostSun Jun 03, 2018 1:28 pm

ups,
just forgot to say thanks for your reply. :D

Return to Fusion