Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

DR15 / Import FBX with material

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Zak Ray

DR15 / Import FBX with material

PostTue May 22, 2018 9:50 pm

Forgive the basic question, I've searched around but can't find an answer (and there's no manual yet for Fusion inside DR).

I'm new to compositing and trying to import an FBX file that includes embedded texture materials, but it only seems to import the model itself. How can I get the materials to show up? Is this because FBX scene import isn't supported yet?

On a related note, the model is made up of seperate "shells" or "polygroups" (I'm not sure what the correct terminology is). Is there a way to access these and turn them on or off inside Fusion? Or do I have to import them as separate models?

Thank you!
BMD Pocket 4K / MacBook Pro 16" (6-core, 32GB RAM, Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB)

Zak Ray

Re: DR15 / Import FBX with material

PostTue May 22, 2018 9:57 pm

To be clear, I know I can map a generic material to a model, but this model has mapping already that the material needs to match. Also the material is embedded in the FBX so I'm not sure how to get it out if I had to.

Andrew Hazelden

PostTue May 22, 2018 10:17 pm

Zak Ray wrote:To be clear, I know I can map a generic material to a model, but this model has mapping already that the material needs to match. Also the material is embedded in the FBX so I'm not sure how to get it out if I had to.

In previous Resolve 15 beta releases you could force the FBX scene import command to run in the Fusion page and show the utility dialog using the following Lua code in the Console view:

Code: Select all
-- Display the FBX Import dialog
app:ToggleUtility("FBXImport")

The Resolve Fusion page developers appear to have disabled this workaround in Resolve 15 Beta 3 while they are are re-writing the FBX/Alembic importer tools to use MediaIn nodes for loading the textures vs the previous Fusion Standalone approaches.

You might try as a temporary workflow thing in the interim to load the FBX model into Fusion (Free) or Fusion Studio 9 using the "File > Import > FBX Scene..." menu item.

Fusion Studio Import FBX Scene.png
Fusion Studio Import FBX Scene.png (98.13 KiB) Viewed 2035 times

Then save this Fusion .comp file to disk and load it into Resolve 15's Fusion page using the Resolve "File > Import Fusion Composite" menu item.

Resolve Import Fusion Composite.png
Resolve Import Fusion Composite.png (95.32 KiB) Viewed 2036 times

You will then get your full set of FBXMesh3D nodes, imported camera3D nodes, along with the surface material nodes imported for you.

If you had separate Loader nodes used in Fusion Standalone to load disk based textures for your FBX model you would need to drag those same materials into the Resolve Media Pool by hand from your desktop. Then you would drag the texture map images into the Fusion page composite from the Media Pool (to avoid the timeline resolution from effecting the texture resolution).

Resolve pasted in FBX Scene Nodes.png
Resolve pasted in FBX Scene Nodes.png (143.36 KiB) Viewed 2035 times

Extra Tip: You can copy any of the Fusion Standalone nodes you want from the Flow area into your copy/paste clipboard. This saves the nodes in a plain text format called a Lua table that is the same as a Fusion Macro .setting files uses.

Next, when you switch over to Resolve 15 and have an timeline active with a Fusion page composite open, you can hit paste and the Fusion nodes will be added to this comp Nodes view area.
Mac Studio M2 Ultra / Threadripper 3990X | Fusion Studio 18.6.4 | Kartaverse 6

Zak Ray

PostWed May 23, 2018 12:31 am

Thanks for the very detailed answer Andrew! The Fusion 9 workaround did the trick.

Here's hoping the FBX scene importer returns to DR15 soon (and better than ever!)

Return to Fusion