Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Time displacement plugin

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Stephen Dixon

Time displacement plugin

PostMon May 28, 2018 6:46 am

I'm checking out fusion in resolve, coming from After Effects, and I'm looking for a replacement for the built-in AE effect "Time Displacement". The effect displaces the source time of a pixel depending on the value of a pixel in another source. So for a simple example if you had a vertical gradient as the time source the effect would make the pixels at the top of the frame be from earlier in time than pixels at the bottom. Of course you can use any image or video source, not just a gradient.

Is there an equivalent for fusion? I tried the krokodove plugins, but they don't seem to work with Fusison 9 or Resolve 15.

Rick van den Berg

Re: Time displacement plugin

PostMon May 28, 2018 7:18 am

maybe a little hard but it sounds possible to do this with a probe, and a timespeed node. somehow let the brightness trigger the delay.

alan bovine

PostMon May 28, 2018 7:22 am

Stephen Dixon wrote:Is there an equivalent for fusion? I tried the krokodove plugins, but they don't seem to work with Fusison 9 or Resolve 15.

Krokodove has this tool, and it works in Fusion9, but not in Resolve 15. You'l need the studio version to run plugins, but its working well over here.
Fusion video tutorials : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTCeDas53OEcWcRujkQiwLg/videos?view_as=subscriber
Fusion Tools : https://github.com/statixVFX/stx_tools
Nuke 2 Fusion nodes : https://github.com/statixVFX/nuke2fusion

Stephen Dixon

PostMon May 28, 2018 8:17 am

I have the studio version of Resolve, but not Fusion 9.

@Rick van den Burg: does probe get the result of an entire frame or is it just a point probe? I must say I'm kinda disappointed that you can't use image rasters to control parameters on a pixel-by-pixel basis, as you can in other node-based apps.

Sander de Regt

PostMon May 28, 2018 8:27 am

I'm kinda disappointed that you can't use image rasters to control parameters on a pixel-by-pixel basis, as you can in other node-based apps.

You can do this with the custom tool as well. There are just no built-in/canned presets for the time based ones. For other parameters you can use (the pixel value of) various maps to drive other effects.
But maybe I'm misunderstanding you. What kind of effects are you referring to?
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Rick van den Berg

PostMon May 28, 2018 9:56 am

Stephen Dixon wrote:I have the studio version of Resolve, but not Fusion 9.

@Rick van den Burg: does probe get the result of an entire frame or is it just a point probe? I must say I'm kinda disappointed that you can't use image rasters to control parameters on a pixel-by-pixel basis, as you can in other node-based apps.

if its an HD comp you should have 1920 by 1080 probes and merge every pixel back together , so thats 2073600 probes.

sounds doable to me :)

alan bovine

PostMon May 28, 2018 11:31 am

Stephen Dixon wrote:I have the studio version of Resolve, but not Fusion 9.

Which other node based tool lets you do this as a default behaviour ? Like Nuke, SOME tools in Fusion lets you do pr.pixel manipulation with control maps. Like Custom, VariBlur, zDepth amongst others.

KKD tools actually has this as a default.
Fusion video tutorials : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTCeDas53OEcWcRujkQiwLg/videos?view_as=subscriber
Fusion Tools : https://github.com/statixVFX/stx_tools
Nuke 2 Fusion nodes : https://github.com/statixVFX/nuke2fusion

Stephen Dixon

PostTue May 29, 2018 12:09 am

A couple of the 3D packages I use let you use raster maps as parameter controls by default. Lightwave's node system and Blender, for example. Vari Blur is the kind of thing I'm talking about, now imagine if every parameter in every effect could be controlled by the values of a raster map.

Chad Capeland

PostTue May 29, 2018 12:33 am

Stephen Dixon wrote:A couple of the 3D packages I use let you use raster maps as parameter controls by default. Lightwave's node system and Blender, for example. Vari Blur is the kind of thing I'm talking about, now imagine if every parameter in every effect could be controlled by the values of a raster map.

So you're telling me you can, in Lightwave, sample per pixel not a current render context value, but any arbitrary point in time? So you can get the perturbed normal for a point at an arbitrary time per pixel? :?

This effect can be done in with a Fuse if you're interested. It's not even that hard to set up, but depending on the number of frames you need to sample could use a lot of RAM.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Rick van den Berg

PostTue May 29, 2018 5:55 am

i'd love to see someone setting up an example!

Return to Fusion