Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

OFX support is bad in fusion

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

ken Turner

OFX support is bad in fusion

PostThu Jun 07, 2018 9:53 pm

It kinda bugs me that resolve has way better OFX support than fusion.

Most of the plugins i look at seem to work fine in Resolve but won't load in fusion.

what gives?
Fusion tips http://www.designimage.co.uk/category/compositing/fusion/

michael vorberg

Re: OFX support is bad in fusion

PostFri Jun 08, 2018 6:12 am

Well, it's not a fusion problem. The problem is with the developers of the OFX plugin.

As the name implies "open Fx", the standard is open to any developer and fusion supports that standard.
But as an developer you can build OFX plugins which will only work with specific host applications
If you stay close to the OFX standards then the plugins will work in every software

In the past fusion wasn't a huge market for developers, not many tested their products with fusion

Andrew Hazelden

PostSat Jun 09, 2018 12:20 pm

ken Turner wrote:It kinda bugs me that resolve has way better OFX support than fusion.

Most of the plugins i look at seem to work fine in Resolve but won't load in fusion.

what gives?

Hi Ken.

If it were me, I'd have worded that comment differently to be more accurate and put the emphasis/blame where it belongs. :D

I'd personally go with the OFX plugin compatibility statement of:

"It kinda bugs me that 3rd party OFX plugin creators don't take the time to add Fusion support to their OFX based tools at the same time they customize their OFX modules to support Resolve. What Gives? Isn't the design goal of an OFX plugin supposed to be that it was programmed to be compatible with all OFX hosts?"
Mac Studio M2 Ultra / Threadripper 3990X | Fusion Studio 18.6.4 | Kartaverse 6

Michael Wolf

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 10:46 am

I've written one plugin that adheres to the standard (as far as I understand it, the plugin is simple enough). Tested it with Nuke (no problems), Resolve (still a few kinks but it basically works) and Fusion (crashes).
I have no idea why.

Just saying...

Cheers,
Mike
Michael Wolf - db&w GbR
http://www.db-w.com

Sam Steti

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 3:02 pm

Just a little off-topic (but I'm not far), I've been forced - 1 year ago - to create a blacklist folder and file to prevent some ofx to load at the Fusion 8 studio launch, because some blocked Fu at the splash screen...
Regardless to the specific ones which really blocked (Neat denoiser), I was also surprised to see some which never caused issues anywhere else.

Whatever, I really love it but I think Fusion is not really well beefed enough in terms of general performance to be also bothered by a bunch of ofx plugs (which are by design not the best way to meet performance).
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Return to Fusion