Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Save a group of nodes for recall

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

garyalan

Save a group of nodes for recall

PostTue Jun 12, 2018 5:48 pm

I created a 3D text setup in resolve fusion 15. How can I save all the nodes as one that can be in the Fusion Tools 3D menu so I can easily recall that whole setup?

Andrew Hazelden

Re: Save a group of nodes for recall

PostFri Jun 15, 2018 8:06 pm

Hi Gary.

Select all the nodes in the Nodes view and copy them into your clipboard.Then paste this clipboard contents as text into a text editor like Notepad++ (Windows), BBEdit (macOS), or gedit (Linux). In your text editor you should save the file with a .setting based file extension since this is acting as a Fusion Macro. This would mean you have saved the textfile file with a name like "3D Text.setting".

Using the Saved Nodes as a Macro

This item can be placed in your Macros:/ PathMap based folder in Resolve and then added to your future Fusion page composites using the shift+spacebar hotkey based "Add Tools" dialog.

Add Tools Dialog.png
Add Tools Dialog.png (27.5 KiB) Viewed 5283 times

Using the Saved Nodes as a Template

Alternatively you could save the .setting file into your Templates:/ PathMap based folder and then access it in the Effects Library > Templates section.

Effects Library Templates Section.png
Effects Library Templates Section.png (50.6 KiB) Viewed 5283 times

The following Steakunderwater post discusses the Resolve installation locations on Windows/macOS/Linux for Effects Library > Templates.

Installing Effects Library Templates in Resolve
https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckl ... 902#p15902

You might find the following "Macro Building Essentials" post useful as well since it describes how to customize a Fusion macro.

https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckl ... 590#p11590
Last edited by Andrew Hazelden on Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Studio M2 Ultra / Threadripper 3990X | Fusion Studio 18.6.4 | Kartaverse 6

garyalan

PostMon Jun 18, 2018 5:51 pm

Andrew, thank you very much for the detailed reply. I have one question. You said in the beginning, "save the file with a based .setting file extension". I do not know what this means.

Also, maybe I should have added to my original post that I don't want this 3D Text Setup recall to start a new project. I want to add this setup to any Resolve/Fusion project as additional nodes that will be merged.

Best regards,
Gary

Andrew Hazelden

PostMon Jun 18, 2018 6:06 pm

garyalan wrote:Andrew, thank you very much for the detailed reply. I have one question. You said in the beginning, "save the file with a based .setting file extension". I do not know what this means.

Best regards,
Gary

A Title Template, and a Macro in Fusion is a text file that is saved with the ".setting" file extension added on the end of the filename. If you copy nodes from your flow view and paste them into a text file, adding the .setting file extension to the document allows you to add them back to future composites.

You could call the file anything you want such as "Gary Favorite Nodes.setting", "My 3D Text.setting", or anything else you want to. When the file has the .setting file extension on it you can drag and drop it from your desktop into the flow view and those nodes will be added to your composite.

If you saved a file named something like "My 3D Text.setting" to your Fusion user preferences "Macros" folder they will be accessible in the Tools > Macro Menu in Fusion.
Last edited by Andrew Hazelden on Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Studio M2 Ultra / Threadripper 3990X | Fusion Studio 18.6.4 | Kartaverse 6

garyalan

PostMon Jun 18, 2018 6:41 pm

Andrew, I got it now. Thank you for your help.

Gary

Return to Fusion