Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Cannot import separately the different parts of a 3D model

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

dsanchezlavado

Cannot import separately the different parts of a 3D model

PostTue Jun 19, 2018 2:54 pm

I imported the X-Fighter 3D model (.obj file) from VideoCopilot (free 3D objects + textures) but it is not what I expected.

If I open the same file (X-Fighter.obj) in HitFilm Pro I can see the six different 3D objects (4 wings + 2 spaceship body) that compose the 3D model and I also can modify/animate these 6 parts separately. For example, I can animate every wing separately. But if I open the file in Fusion Studio (DR15 Studio Beta) I only see just one object composed by these 6 parts as if they were just one 3D mesh object so I cannot modify/animate any of these parts separately as I can do it in HitFilm Pro.

In the first picture below you can see the six different elements that compose the X-Fighter (the XWing_Body ) in HitFilm Pro and In the next picture, you can see the X-Fighter as one 3D object.

Is it possible to get all these six 3D object parts that compose the X-Win in Fusion Studio?

Best regards
David Sánchez
Attachments
save-hfpro.jpeg
X-Fighter HitFilm Pro
save-hfpro.jpeg (75.97 KiB) Viewed 687 times
xfighter-fusion.jpeg
X-Figther Fusion
xfighter-fusion.jpeg (76 KiB) Viewed 687 times

Andrew Hazelden

Re: Cannot import separately the different parts of a 3D mod

PostTue Jun 19, 2018 5:40 pm

Right now Resolve 15's Fusion page doesn't have a Fusion > Import > FBX Scene... menu enabled yet that would automatically break apart the FBX model into individual components, and import cameras, file textures, etc..

Resolve Fusion Import Menu.png
Resolve Fusion Import Menu.png (65.74 KiB) Viewed 680 times

A work-around that you can use for the moment is to import the FBX model using Fusion Standalone's File > Import > FBX Scene... menu item.

Fusion Standalone FBX Scene Import.png
Fusion Standalone FBX Scene Import.png (75.76 KiB) Viewed 681 times

This will give you the full hiearchy of your FBX model as individual nodes. You can select these nodes and then copy/paste them from the Fusion Standalone "Flow" view into Resolve's Fusion page "Nodes" view.

(You will have to replace any of the imported texture maps that are accessed in Fusion Standalone using Loader nodes with Resolve Media Pool imported MediaIn nodes. To import the texture maps in Resolve you want to drag them right from the Media Pool tab into your active Fusion page Nodes view area so the images are loaded at full resolution and they are un-effected by your Resolve timeline resolution settings)

Fusion Comp Link to the Rescue

If you want to make the Fusion Studio Standalone <> Resolve Studio comp transfer process faster, I'd suggest you install the free Steakunderwater Reactor package manager tool in both Resolve and in Fusion Standalone.

Then install the "Fusion Comp Link" atom package that is accessible in Reactor's "Scripts/Comp" category. The Fusion Comp Link script makes it super fast to push your Fusion nodes back and forth between the two packages.

Fusion Comp Link.png
Fusion Comp Link.png (180.07 KiB) Viewed 681 times
Mac Studio M2 Ultra / Threadripper 3990X | Fusion Studio 18.6.4 | Kartaverse 6

dsanchezlavado

Re: Cannot import separately the different parts of a 3D mod

PostTue Jun 19, 2018 6:09 pm

That sounds great. I will try it and let you know.

Many thanks
David Sánchez

Return to Fusion