Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Star Timelapse

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Jackreynolds

Star Timelapse

PostMon Jul 09, 2018 2:25 am

Hello,

I am currently doing some work with timelapses in astrophotography. Currently, I have an interval timer set up to take a photo of the sky every 30 seconds over the course of several hours. I then take it to After Effects, and layer them. Then, I set a new photo to start on the frame every 1 frame, and extend their durations out, setting the blend mode to lighter color. This creates the kind of drag you see in time lapses of the stars. One feature in After Effects is in the Keyframe assistant, where it will automatically sequence the clips in order for me on the timeline, so that I do not have to manually move hundreds of frames to their start point. Is there a similar function in Resolve or Fusion that would do this? I am running After Effects CS6 and it is struggling to keep up. I have been progressively switching my workflows away from Adobe, however this is one area I have not found in Resolve or Fusion.

Thank you!
Jack

Sander de Regt

Re: Star Timelapse

PostMon Jul 09, 2018 8:16 am

I don't know if this would apply to your footage, since I haven't seen it. But maybe the 'trails' tool will do what you want.

Just load all your images as one sequence (create an *.ifl if they're not named sequentially)

Add the trails tool and set it to the transfer mode you want (probably lighten in your case?)

set the gain to 0.99 to start with and then just play around with it and see if it creates what you're after.

If so, it would be easier than in AE. Wouldn't that be great? :-)

If it works like that I'd be willing to create a tutorial for Fusion/Resolve with it, so other people can benefit from it as well, but then I'd have to have access to your footage.

Hope this helps.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Return to Fusion