Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Advice on composite with complex shadows

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

d3zd3z

Advice on composite with complex shadows

PostFri Aug 03, 2018 9:48 pm

In the process of learning Fusion, I thought I'd give a try to removing an object from a scene.
shows my original footage, and at least my first attempt at what I want to do. I use a planar tracker over the tiles in an area the dog never blocks. Then I created a corner pin to map a separate photo I took of the two affected tiles. I tried to take the photo in the same lighting, and it does match when there aren't shadows.

I think I got the tracking, and even match the area pretty well that I'm replacing. However, I'm not sure what the best way is to recreate the shadows onto the corrected area.

What's done in the video is that I created a mask, and used it to merge a darker background image in the areas I wanted the shadow. I think this could work, but I found it very hard to match the intensity of the shadows.

I might try using a paint node to animate the shadows. I figure there are 6 or so areas making shadows (the dog's body, head, and each leg).

But this is all quite new to me, and I'm curious if there is a better way to recreate the shadows in the composite.

Thanks,
David
MacOS/Linux, Divinci Resolve 16, Fusion 16.

Bryan Ray

Re: Advice on composite with complex shadows

PostSat Aug 04, 2018 12:44 am

Paint isn't the way to go—it will certainly jitter. I usually use an animated mask on a color corrector. The trick is going to be to get your masking to match the original real shadow as closely as possible. You'll probably want a separate shape for each of the dog's legs. Roto the original shadow. It can be pretty loose since the shadow is soft. Once that's done, it's a matter of color correcting the patch until it matches.

I usually start by looking at just the Green channel and use the Master RGB Gain control to get that to match as closely as possible. Green carries most of the luminance information in an image, so if you get that channel right, the other two will also usually be very close.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Return to Fusion