Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Painting and tracking

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Lukas Remis

Painting and tracking

PostTue Aug 07, 2018 6:09 pm

Hello,

How can I do some painting work - with paint or clone strokes - and attach them to a tracker?
I found a youtube video by Simon Ubsdell - but that shows how to attach only one stroke. It would be quite difficult to do a decent paintout work with one stroke, and I assume there must be a way to make all my strokes follow a tracker, without creating a separate tracker for every one of them?

Thank you,
Lukas

Sander de Regt

Re: Painting and tracking

PostTue Aug 07, 2018 9:39 pm

The way that I usually approach this is by having a blank BG on which I paint that is connected to a tracker, this way all strokes will move as one.
Also remember that multistroke paint strokes only last for a single frame (they're a residu from the multistroke's inception: when it was introduced it was used for dust busting) if you want your paintstrokes to remain, then you need to use 'regular' strokes.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Bryan Ray

PostTue Aug 07, 2018 9:59 pm

You can increase the Stroke Duration prior to painting, and they'll last as long as you like, even in MultiStroke mode.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Sander de Regt

PostTue Aug 07, 2018 10:05 pm

Bryan Ray wrote:You can increase the Stroke Duration prior to painting, and they'll last as long as you like, even in MultiStroke mode.

You're definitely right about that Bryan. It's just something I always forget to do myself, because it's not that intuitive UX-wise. I'd imagine that someone who isn't as proficient in Fusion yet, might overlook this possibility. But a very worthwhile addition! Thanks!
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Jörg-Mark Kasassoglou

PostWed Aug 08, 2018 7:16 am

You could also use a Time Stretch Node – in case you painted "the perfect Paint stroke" and do not want to do it again :-)

Return to Fusion