Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion 9 license

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Ryan Bloomer

Fusion 9 license

PostWed Aug 15, 2018 8:10 pm

Does buying the Resolve 15 license still let me use Fusion9? I need another Fusion9 license and wondering if purchasing Resolve 15 will allow me to do that.

Sander de Regt

Re: Fusion 9 license

PostWed Aug 15, 2018 8:28 pm

Buy another Fusion 9 license and it will let you use Resolve. Right now, it's the better deal.
Last edited by Sander de Regt on Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Ryan Bloomer

PostWed Aug 15, 2018 8:37 pm

Thanks Sander, that was my thinking as well.

Thomas Martin

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 12:28 pm

The only disadvantage of buying a Fusion license is that you get one dongle license, whereas, if you buy Resolve you do not need a dongle and get two software activations.

michael vorberg

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 6:35 pm

Thomas Martin wrote:The only disadvantage of buying a Fusion license is that you get one dongle license, whereas, if you buy Resolve you do not need a dongle and get two software activations.

You get only fusion in resolve with the resolve studio, not fusion standalone
But if you buy fusion Studio you can use the dongle for resolve Studio too!

Thomas Martin

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 7:37 pm

As I said you are getting two licenses if you buy Resolve but only one if you buy Fusion. This is a notbable disadvantage in particular when the Fusion standalone reaches its EOL.

michael vorberg

PostFri Aug 17, 2018 6:56 am

Thomas Martin wrote:As I said you are getting two licenses if you buy Resolve but only one if you buy Fusion. This is a notbable disadvantage in particular when the Fusion standalone reaches its EOL.

I am not getting it?!
If you buy Resolve studio you only get resolve studio

If you buy fusion Studio you get fusion and resolve (running from the same license)

Thomas Martin

PostFri Aug 17, 2018 7:28 am

OK, of course, having access to both Fusion and Resolve is a Pro for buying a Fusion license. However, it comes with one dongle and therefore it can be used only on the one machine where you plugged in the dongle.

If you are buying Resolve the Pro is that it comes with an activation code you may use to activate two machines, for instance, work and home simultaneously. Occasionally, if you are abroad with your activated laptop, and your colleague is sitting in front of the big workstation, this can be an advantage since you can assist to complete a certain task. In turn, as a one man freelancer, the dongle solution may be more useful.

Sander de Regt

PostFri Aug 17, 2018 7:30 am

You're right but the question in the original post was

I need another Fusion9 license and wondering if purchasing Resolve 15 will allow me to do that.

And a double software activation for Resolve doesn't give the OP an extra Fusion 9 license.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Thomas Martin

PostFri Aug 17, 2018 9:48 am

I just wanted to help the OP to decide based on the complete picture. You said "Right now, it's the better deal" and this may not be the case in one or two years when Fusion standalone 9.0.2 remains untouched and outdated while BMD has implemented new (possibly incompatible) features in ReFusion.

Sander de Regt

PostFri Aug 17, 2018 2:58 pm

Hence the words 'right now' - noone makes software buying decisions based on where they'll be in 2 years time. At least not $ 299 worth of software buying decisions. Or at least, they shouldn't IMO :lol:
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Return to Fusion