Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion 10 is coming or not ?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Alaz Soytemiz

Re: Fusion 10 is coming or not ?

PostMon Apr 08, 2019 5:50 pm

Is it still possible to use old fusion dongle for resolve or it is over?

Tapatalk kullanarak iPhone aracılığıyla gönderildi
Windows 10 Pro 64Bit
Processor: Intel i7-6800K 3.40GHz
Ram: 128GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
Disks: Samsung SSD 970 PRO, Intel® SSD 750 Series (400GB, 1/2 Height PCIe 3.0, 20nm, MLC)

Marin Goleminov

PostMon Apr 08, 2019 5:51 pm

I bought a Fu9 dongle last year, and for good reasons. It's still not clear if I can use Fusion 16 with it. But this Resolve-has-it-all vs. You-pay-for-Fusion-alone stunt is so weird.
Last edited by Marin Goleminov on Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Alaz Soytemiz

PostMon Apr 08, 2019 5:56 pm

Marin Goleminov wrote:I bought a Fu9 dongle last year, and for good reasons. It's still not clear if I can use Fusion 16 with it. But
this Resolve-has-it-all vs. You-pay-for-Fusion-alone stunt is so weird. TBH I am just disappointed that they have done zero about Fusion over the last years. And all of a sudden calling it Fusion 16 Studio is brazen.

Same here. 16 because of user interface it seems.
But I will go deep to software and change log before the last opinion.

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit
Disks: Samsung SSD 970 PRO, Intel® SSD 750 Series (400GB, 1/2 Height PCIe 3.0, 20nm, MLC)

Klaus May

PostMon Apr 08, 2019 6:02 pm

From the Resolve changelog: "Support for using DaVinci Resolve Studio dongles to enable Fusion Studio"

Sounds like any dongle can be used for both software packages :)

Alaz Soytemiz

PostMon Apr 08, 2019 6:07 pm

Klaus May wrote:From the Resolve changelog: "Support for using DaVinci Resolve Studio dongles to enable Fusion Studio"

Sounds like any dongle can be used for both software packages :)

Nice

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

Adriano Oliveira

PostMon Apr 08, 2019 6:43 pm

Fusion 16 free is inside Resolve 16

Fusion Studio 16 is a new standalone software.

Fusion is alive and well. Thank you BM!

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/fusion/
-----
Adriano Oliveira
Windows 11
RTX 3060 6GB

RCModelReviews

PostMon Apr 08, 2019 7:58 pm

I'm sticking with Fusion 11 :lol:

But seriously, this is kind of confusing, or have I missed something?

You can buy Fusion Studio 16 and that dongle will also work with Resolve Studio 16

You can buy Resolve 16 and that dongle will also work with Fusion Studio 16

So why don't they just say "buy one, get one free" -- or say that it's a combo deal?

But, so long as my Fusion 9 dongle continues to work with both Fusion Studio and Resolve Studio, I'm a happy camper! I'll stick with Fusion Studio 9 and Resolve 15 until I upgrade my hardware later this year (probably to AMD Risen 3 and (if the specs are okay) a NAVI GPU. Even if the NAVI stuff isn't up to scratch it should apply downward pressure to NVIDIA cards so maybe I'll fork out for a RTX2080ti in that case.

Happy days!
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

Kel Philm

PostMon Apr 08, 2019 8:31 pm

I shouldn't be this excited about a peice of software and I am sure as heck BMD got sick of me droning on about the need for standalone but thanks BMD you have made my day! Looking fwd to checking out the new Resolve as well, if the editing has improved there are alot of people I know who are siting on the fence about Resolve that will take the leap. Just finished up on a big car commercial, we used UMP and Pocket 4K's, graded in Resolve and VFX in Fusion, now if we can kick Premiere out of the loop I think we'd all be happier.

Trensharo

PostThu Apr 11, 2019 11:34 am

Adriano Oliveira wrote:Fusion 16 free is inside Resolve 16

Fusion Studio 16 is a new standalone software.

Fusion is alive and well. Thank you BM!

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/fusion/

Wasn't Primatte Keyer in Fusion 9 [Free]? Why isn't it in Resolve 16 Studio?

michael vorberg

PostThu Apr 11, 2019 3:39 pm

Because of licensing? If the license eyeon acquired was only for the software fusion it is only for fusion

Trensharo

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 3:50 am

michael vorberg wrote:Because of licensing? If the license eyeon acquired was only for the software fusion it is only for fusion
Resolve Studio isn't free. Cost of software can cover licensing. In any case, I just find it to be an odd disparity.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Bryan Ray

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 4:15 pm

The Primatte license for Fusion 9 was inherited from Eyeon's contract with whoever owned Primatte at that time. In the years since, both Fusion and Primatte have been acquired by different companies. Since Primatte is now owned by Red Giant, they aren't likely to be interested in bundling their tech into someone else's software, especially when that software is cheaper than what they're trying to sell the plug-in for ($499)!
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Sam Steti

PostMon Apr 15, 2019 3:38 pm

Hi there,

A bit late but not off-topic : if I remember well, Primatte was still discontinued in Fu9. Can please anybody confirm that please ?
Because that's the only reason I still keep Fusion 8 Studio instead... So ?
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

michael vorberg

PostMon Apr 15, 2019 4:23 pm

You have primatte in fu9, but in the free version you have some locked options which are only available for studio version

Sam Steti

PostMon Apr 15, 2019 5:57 pm

Ok thx Michael, I was quite sure Fu8 was the last including Primatte.
Now I know
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Rajiv Mudgal

PostTue Aug 27, 2019 7:02 pm

Chris Wells wrote:
Kays Alatrakchi wrote:I don't know what benefit they would gain from doing so, but their actions (particularly this past year) speak pretty loud and clear IMHO. Since Fusion's last small maintenance update last December, there have been a total of 11 Resolve updates (counting both 14 and 15 beta). I think that sends a pretty clear message as to where BMD is concentrating their efforts. To not see that Fusion's future is within Resolve, particularly after Siggraph has come and gone, seems a bit like living in denial to me.

Benefit to BMD of telling us they are dropping standalone fusion, none. It would just be a decent thing to do. Many of us, either VFX artists or plugin developers, have invested heavily in fusion over the years, and are trying to decided do we move on or keep wasting our time. I personally have been using fusion for 15 years, I have an extensive skill set with it. I have written several scripts that make it work insanely well. I need to be very clear all hope is lost before moving on. That being said, I think all hope is lost.....

.....So in summary, Fusion is very capable for high end compositing. In many ways I find it better. Fusion didn't lose to nuke because nuke was better, fusion lost to nuke because the foundry was better at business. Shake died, and the foundry jumped in that door, strategically got where it needed to be. It also had a linux version so fusion wasn't even an option back then for big studios. Scripting is easier in Nuke, so that also helped with adoption. If BMD cared they could make a competitive product. They actually already have it. Sure give away a free version, but raise the price of studio standalone, and put some development resources behind it. It doesn't have to die and is actually very competitive.

Not a big fan of Deep Image Compositing but Cryptomatte and Deep Pixel and other ways to create holdouts are well integrated in fusion. The improvements I would like to see are small ones. I have worked on Smoke and Flame and you know those small things go a long way in polishing your finished product.

So although Resolve might have seen massive tool infusions, I did notice tremendous speed and stability improvements in Fusion and so its not true that there has not been any love for Fusion in recent days.

Recently I saw a full page Ad of Fusion in the very popular 3DArtist mag. That's good news because that means that in version 16 they have solved all the issues related to integrating Fusion with Resolve and have now shifted their focus from integration to the Standalone product development itself, so that if anything is added to ResolveFusion it automatically trickles down to the standalone and vice-versa... Otherwise why are they now aggressively marketing the product.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm8500260/

Kyriakos Rissakis

PostMon Sep 09, 2019 4:53 pm

I am an amateur compositor and from where i stand
editing looks like mandatory and dull work, you don't get any pleasure out of it
whereas compositing is a creative art. Amateurs do not need Resolve
they could use even Avidemux instead, it's not that they will lose
money or anything that way but they certainly need Nuke or Fusion....
so standalone it is. Many of us may buy Fusion in the future
but not Resolve.

Sander de Regt

PostMon Sep 09, 2019 6:16 pm

editing looks like mandatory and dull work, you don't get any pleasure out of it

I'm sure you'll find 1000s and 1000s of editors who will passionately disagree with you.
To me, finding and building a story through editing is one of the most satisfying parts of filmmaking.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Kyriakos Rissakis

PostTue Sep 10, 2019 4:10 pm

For some people building a brick wall can feel very satisfying and creative....
i guess i should talk only for myself, point taken.

Chad Capeland

PostTue Sep 10, 2019 5:18 pm

Rajiv Mudgal wrote:Otherwise why are they now aggressively marketing the product.

:?
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

ricardo marty

PostTue Sep 10, 2019 5:28 pm

Kyriakos Rissakis wrote:For some people building a brick wall can feel very satisfying and creative....

Editing is not just sticking to clips together. It requieres not only skill but art.

Ricardo Marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

RCModelReviews

PostTue Sep 10, 2019 11:46 pm

ricardo marty wrote:Editing is not just sticking to clips together. It requieres not only skill but art.

No, sorry... if you've seen any of *my* videos you'd realize that editing is (for me) just sticking a few clips together -- I have no sense of art whatsoever -- I wish I could say otherwise :-)
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

ricardo marty

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 2:23 am

RCModelReviews wrote:
ricardo marty wrote:Editing is not just sticking to clips together. It requieres not only skill but art.

No, sorry... if you've seen any of *my* videos you'd realize that editing is (for me) just sticking a few clips together -- I have no sense of art whatsoever -- I wish I could say otherwise :-)

As I said It's not just sticking clips together.

Ricardo Marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

Sander de Regt

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 7:33 am

@Bruce How do you decide *which* clips to stick together then? Do you do this completely at random?
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Jeff Ha

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 1:19 pm

Rajiv Mudgal wrote: Otherwise why are they now aggressively marketing the product.

HAHAHA wait.. putting an ad in the page of a magazine which has less subscriptions these days due to paper mags going away is your litmus test for how aggressive BMD is marking Fusion? REALLY? It's chump change with little return on investment.

For marketing, take a look at Adobe, Maxon and Pixologic. They are constantly interacting with their consumers on various platforms as well as posting live streams (and recorded streams) from various conventions. They post individual videos showcasing specific features or use case studies. Even Foundry does a better job. The most BMD does is post an all in one video of all of their products, with a 10 second mention of Fusion and then turn off commenting on their Youtube channel. It's crap.

Rajiv Mudgal

PostSat Sep 14, 2019 6:30 am

Jeff Ha wrote:
Rajiv Mudgal wrote: Otherwise why are they now aggressively marketing the product.

HAHAHA wait.. putting an ad in the page of a magazine which has less subscriptions these days due to paper mags going away is your litmus test for how aggressive BMD is marking Fusion? REALLY? It's chump change with little return on investment... Even Foundry does a better job.

True but there must be a reason why Eyeon was put up for sale but its surely a relief to see it still advertised and its development still supported.

Also I meant was in the context so that if anything is added to ResolveFusion it automatically trickles down to the standalone and vice-versa...So even though its future development is locked to the development of Resolve, i Do hope -hoped that a subset of Neural Engine that uses machine learning ultimately find its way to the standalone and its aging Optical Flow gets overhauled/updated to achieve Smart Vectors, automated normal maps and Z-depth map generator etc using the new Neural Engine.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm8500260/

Kristof Indeherberge

PostSat Sep 14, 2019 7:41 am

Kyriakos Rissakis wrote:For some people building a brick wall can feel very satisfying and creative....

Myeah. Just google "Amsterdamse School" and look at the images. :D
Previous

Return to Fusion