Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Seeking confirmation of 100+ FPS of Fusion

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

RandallWolf

Seeking confirmation of 100+ FPS of Fusion

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 7:56 pm

Hello there. I couldn't find an exact answer to my concerns by looking up posts here in the Fusion topic.

I would like to see for myself what I can create at high frame rates, i.e. over 100 frames per second. On other video products which I can't mention according to the forum rules I either cannot see or generate video clips > 60 fps.

Specifically, in the present version of Fusion, can I create a video clip (based on still images) that I can see myself on my computer? I have a late model computer made by a well known manufacturer (i7 based). It has a nvidia geforce GTX 1080 card with g-sync. I use the nvidia control panel in Windows to set the hertz to 240. I'm using display port cables. The monitor I have is an aw2518h allegedly capable of over 240 FPS. I've managed to programattically generate some high frame rate video but the speed is variable, random sometimes dropping under 200 fps and sometimes going a bit over 200 (if I can trust the calculated speed). In the Fusion 9 software, can I put together a clip that I can see with my own eyeballs that is really 100+fps? As a follow-on question, can I export this clip in a format that I can play with some unnamed video-player (yet to be determined) that has the capability to reliably play 100+ fps video (assuming it is played on my present hardware)? Anyone know a presently available video player that can do that? I want to look at the future. Presently, with inexpensive computers, this isn't feasible. In the future, it will be. I want to see what might be possible in the future, not to read vague, hazy descriptions of what you can do or cannot do with 100+ fps. My guess from reading some posts here is that Fusion 9 will play at higher frame rates which you might be able to see on your hardware if you have hardware is good enough. True? False?

Frank Feijen

Re: Seeking confirmation of 100+ FPS of Fusion

PostTue Aug 21, 2018 10:23 am

What is the resolution that you'd like to deliver?

RandallWolf

PostTue Aug 21, 2018 1:13 pm

1920x1080. Present "standard" resolution for a computer screen. This is the resolution I have my present screen set to (I think it's supposed to support 244 at that resolution, if I remember correctly). Not a higher resolution, lower would be ok if that would help.

Chad Capeland

PostTue Aug 21, 2018 4:01 pm

Yeah, I work at 120Hz all the time, and we've gone over 480Hz using some experimental displays.

Obviously your computer has to be able to handle it, but Fusion will actually cache images not only to system RAM, but GPU memory as well. So if you have enough memory, it's not a problem.

EDIT: Resolve 15 CANNOT, but Fusion 9 can.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Return to Fusion