Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Can I use After Effects templates with Fusion?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

bokehraton

Can I use After Effects templates with Fusion?

PostWed Aug 29, 2018 5:25 pm

Hi!

I am trying to move from Premiere Pro to Resolve, and am definitely going through a learning curve.

I'd like to know what to expect if I try Fusion (usually for transitions, lower thirds, maybe some camera tracking).

- Can Fusion open an AE template/project?
- Should I just keep using AE (for lower thirds type stuff) and bring it into my Resolve timeline (is that even possible, and in what format to move from AE ==> Resolve?

If I can't do that, maybe I should move to Fusion altogether? (I just need to find a place to buy some good templates. Starting from scratch with Fusion (new software to me) would take too long right now.

... Or I'm a bit lazy... ;)

michael vorberg

Re: Can I use After Effects templates with Fusion?

PostWed Aug 29, 2018 6:23 pm

fusion cant open any AE projects or templates

resolve cant open AE projects or templates
you can only import the rendered result from AE back into fusion or resolve as image sequence or movie

if you mainly want to use ready to buy templates to add some lower thirds or transitions you stay better with AE. the market there is huge compared to the stuff availible in fusion/resolve. fusion is quiet new to many people and the former 20years it was mainly used for compositing and not so much graphics.

learning fusion will be a steep learning curve because of the different concept of nodes vs. layers. but in my opinon its worth to take a look and discover the new workflow. take a look at some beginner tutorials and gets some hands on a project and then decide if you want to go that route

George Deierling

PostWed Aug 29, 2018 7:18 pm

After Effects importer for Fusion!
Any developers out there listening?
User base is expanding since it became part of Resolve - that should be a good thing.

Stuart Scott

PostWed Aug 29, 2018 10:44 pm

I second that one!
"I wish I could do just about everything over again." —S.G. Scott

Chad Capeland

PostThu Aug 30, 2018 3:35 am

George Deierling wrote:After Effects importer for Fusion!
Any developers out there listening?
User base is expanding since it became part of Resolve - that should be a good thing.

How much would you pay for that?
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

George Deierling

PostThu Aug 30, 2018 4:30 am

around $100 just to have it, or more if needed for a specific project.
Even if not everything can be translated, doesn't have to perfect to be useful.

Thomas Martin

PostThu Aug 30, 2018 1:35 pm

Chad Capeland wrote:How much would you pay for that?

This clearly depends on how good this converter really is. For a convincing solution about $100 would be OK. But I guess this would be a tedious work.

Something much less demanding, and certainly very welcome, would be a converter from genuine Fusion comps to a Resolve-Fusion project. I would invest up to $30 for a really flawless solution. Of course, one would hope that BMD takes care of this, but I do not believe this will happen.

Sander de Regt

PostThu Aug 30, 2018 1:40 pm

How much would you pay for templates that work directly in Fusion/Resolve? Maybe that would be a much better way to go instead of doing a full blown converter.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Thomas Martin

PostThu Aug 30, 2018 1:50 pm

Sander de Regt wrote:How much would you pay for templates that work directly in Fusion/Resolve? Maybe that would be a much better way to go instead of doing a full blown converter.

If your speaking about AE templates, then $100 would probably still be OK, but I am wondering how
this could work since one would expect to work with a node structure in Fusion/Resolve. Do you think of a way to convert it on the fly ?

Sander de Regt

PostThu Aug 30, 2018 1:53 pm

No, I'm thinking about converting it manually and then selling it :-)
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Thomas Martin

PostThu Aug 30, 2018 2:01 pm

Then it is a question how difficult the original AE template had been and more a matter of percents than a fixed add-on amount. I could imagine to pay something like 20-30% on top, for a conversion of a really good AE template.

michael vorberg

PostThu Aug 30, 2018 4:15 pm

i believe converting an AE comp to a fusion comp is nearly impossible:
1) layer vs. node based
2) there are hundreds of plugins availible for AE which you can not convert (maybe you will get close with fusion tools, but that is nothing you can automate)
3) precomps in precomp in precomp

but if people have a demand for more templates then a market will emerge and you will soon find templates for fusion too.

i am not a good graphic designer otherwise i would have already started to create some

and to encourage all here:
i did sell a good amout of my flares preset, there is a market for good presets/templates

Rick van den Berg

PostFri Aug 31, 2018 5:39 pm

why would you even want that?

plus, everything is so much different, there's no way

George Deierling

PostFri Aug 31, 2018 7:24 pm

Is it really so different?
Every layer starts with a loader and ends with a merge and effects stacked in between.
Keyframe interpolation, shapes and curves could be difficult to get exact, the math needs to be unraveled..
A workaround for curves would be to render them out frame by frame.
just some ideas....

Bryan Ray

PostFri Aug 31, 2018 8:19 pm

There are too many AE effects that don't have direct Fusion analogues, and many templates rely on those effects to operate. Take, for instance, the Card Wipe, which I needed to replicate (in part) to translate a template into a Fusion macro:
http://www.bryanray.name/wordpress/card ... or-fusion/

An After Effects template can be complex, and there's just no way to turn one automatically into a useful Fusion comp.

Sure, you can build a system to convert a layer stack into a series of Merges, but a template that has no more than that isn't something that would be worth paying for to start with, in my opinion.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Chad Capeland

PostSat Sep 01, 2018 12:32 am

Yeah, that's why I was asking how much it was worth. Something that works well would sell for thousands of dollars and no one wants to pay more than $100. So there's no viable business model for this.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

bokehraton

PostWed Sep 26, 2018 6:26 pm

Holy, holy cow!

I'm the "OP"; can't believe I started a thread that people actually replied to! :lol:

I think someone mentioned about the Fusion user base expanding.

Just speaking for myself and the company I work for: We do in-house video projects of a very long and complicated nature, so we have to make them ourselves.

We heard great things about Resolve about a year ago, and tried it out. We REALLY wanted to get away from the subscription model of Adobe, especially since we are about the exact opposite of a video production company. We might use an editor a few times per YEAR, but when we do, it's very important for us.

Anyways, so yes, naturally we wanted to see what Fusion could do as far as animations, titles, transitions, etc. Nothing super fancy, but more than what is built in to Resolve.

And we didn't want to start from scratch (in the past, we buy some AE template, replace our logo, adjust a couple things, and BAM! It really makes the video a lot better, and I get to pretend I know what I'm doing! :lol: :roll: :) )

Personally, I am getting the hang of Resolve, and I WANT to like Fusion, and want it to be easy for newbies, yet powerful for professionals.

Thanks everyone!

Sander de Regt

PostWed Sep 26, 2018 7:45 pm

Well, one thing I could offer is remote assistance on stuff you'd like to see. It's pretty difficult to start making stuff at random hoping that people will like it. But I could help people understand Fusion quicker by 'sitting in' on their sessions via Skype or Teamviewer and just show them how I'd approach things.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Chris Tempel

PostThu Sep 27, 2018 10:02 pm

While AE is a layer based INTERFACE, it is node based at it's core. Next time you're working on a complicated project, switch over to the flowchart view. It's a watered down node graph.

Chad Capeland

PostFri Sep 28, 2018 3:49 am

Chris Tempel wrote:While AE is a layer based INTERFACE, it is node based at it's core. Next time you're working on a complicated project, switch over to the flowchart view. It's a watered down node graph.

No. The flowchart only shows you the I/O relationships of precomps and nested layers. Not the same thing at all.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Hendrik Proosa

PostFri Sep 28, 2018 9:08 am

Any layer based representation can be converted to node based representation which can then be flattened to linear order of operations (this is how node graph processing works). Converting nodes to layers is much more messy because layers can't really branch to different streams without lots of precomps.
I do stuff

Return to Fusion