Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Beginner Fusion questions from Intermediate Resolve user

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Michael Tiemann

Beginner Fusion questions from Intermediate Resolve user

PostMon Sep 10, 2018 12:44 pm

I've been using Resolve since version 8, but have started seriously looking at Fusion now that it's well-integrated into Resolve 15. I also have a background with Blender and Maya, so that's where my 3D ideas come from. I've tried doing some searches for answers to my questions, but either the search terms are too general ("perspective", "hotkey") or my questions are as yet unasked.

1. In Blender, there's an easy way to select a perspective (Top, Front, Side, Perspective/Camera) and manipulate it (rotate, pan, scale) using the keyboard (numpad, actually) and minimally using a trackball. It is also trivial to reset the view so that the origin of the grid, in whatever perspective, is re-centered. I cannot find keybindings for hardly any of this. Panning left-to-right is somewhat easy to find, but up-down was impossible. There seems to be no way to use a single keystroke, for example, to change the view from Top to Side to Front to Perspective.

[FIXED in Resolve 15.1 release

2. When I'm in the keyframe window, I can highlight a keyframe on one of the channels, right-click it, and it tells me that clover-backdelete will remove the keyframe. When I type clover-backdelete, the whole containing node is deleted. What is the proper keystroke (not displayed by the right-click menu) that will delete just the selected keyframe(s)?]

3. When I'm in the inspector window, I can use the keyboard to change the value of some parameter. I expect that hitting TAB will take me to the next parameter. I expect that using arrow keys will allow me to move a frame forward or backward, but instead it takes me to the next parameter. I realize that if I click away from the parameter value box, then Fusion will honor the arrow keys as moving forward or backward in the timeline. But why should I have to keyboard->trackball->keyboard when I could better keyboard->keyboard? What is the pro way to enter a parameter and then see its effect without having to move my hand off the keyboard?

4. Blender has a concept of groups. (It also has a concept of Layers.) When I create a large number of objects and then want to consistently change some fundamental parameter, such as whether they accept lighting, shadows, etc., what's the pro way to grab them as a group and affect their parameters as a group?

5. The Color page in Resolve does a good job of cleaning up Node Graphs when asked. I could not find a similar capability to get Fusion to clean up/compact its graphs.

Thanks in advance for any insights you can offer!
Last edited by Michael Tiemann on Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacOS Catalina Version 10.15.7
iMac Pro (2017)
3 GHz Intel Xeon W
64GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB
RED Rocket-X
Decklink 8K Pro card feeding FSI XM310K Monitor

Sam Steti

Re: Beginner Fusion questions from Intermediate Resolve user

PostTue Sep 11, 2018 8:12 am

Hey,

tldr; so I choose the super quick way to answer what I understood for the first 2 points :

1/ did you try alt + moving the right clicked mouse ?
2/ I do backdelete only and it's ok ;
3/ not sure I understood, but you can tweak whatever you like in the shortcuts pref ;
4/ it looks like you want to group some nodes and make a macro, aren't you ?
5/ you can group nodes and then move a bunch of them together, but I suspect there's better to do
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Michael Tiemann

Re: Beginner Fusion questions from Intermediate Resolve user

PostTue Sep 11, 2018 9:34 am

Thanks for the Backdelete-only tip (my problem #2)! I'll file a report with Blackmagic about their menu being wrong for that.

FIXED in Resolve 15.1 release. Go BMD!
MacOS Catalina Version 10.15.7
iMac Pro (2017)
3 GHz Intel Xeon W
64GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB
RED Rocket-X
Decklink 8K Pro card feeding FSI XM310K Monitor

Return to Fusion