Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Wacom issues with Fusion in Windows 10

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Fraser Shiers

Wacom issues with Fusion in Windows 10

PostMon Sep 24, 2018 10:08 am

Has anyone else experienced issues with Wacom tablets in Fusion on Win 10 recently?

When using two viewers, zooming and panning in the left-hand viewer also pans and zooms the right-hand viewer at the same time. Pen pressure isn't being recognised by the paint tool either.

I've reinstalled Wacom drivers but the problems persist. I was about to uninstall and reinstall Fusion but also found that the same thing happens with Fusion in Resolve. All other apps seem fine though. I'm using the current model large Intuos Pro.

I'll be very grateful if anyone can share any ideas or tips for fixing Wacom issues in Fusion.

Igor Riđanović

Re: Wacom issues with Fusion in Windows 10

PostMon Sep 24, 2018 9:14 pm

I've seen issues in Windows 10 with an older driver (most recent for Intous 3). The problem was not isolated to Fusion. I can't be too specific now, but there was a lack of consistency in tablet behavior. I'd log into W10 and everything would be fine. Then at the next login the problem would reappear. i think at times Windows thought that it was running on Surface, not a desktop computer.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

Fraser Shiers

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 9:06 am

Thanks Igor. The latest three versions of the Wacom driver all deliver the same issue in Fusion Studio 8, 9 and Resolve Studio 15 but I don't have any issues in any other software. Maybe I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling Fusion and Resolve.

Stefan Kirste

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 1:23 pm

in the wacom properties, switch off "Force Proportions" in the mapping-tab.
its only a workaround, because, it depends which monitor u are using, but while proportions is off, u will f.E. always draw eggs instead of circles.

Bryan Ray

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 2:37 pm

I just confirmed this. The behavior appears only when two monitors (possibly more; I only tested with two) are connected and the tablet is set to map to only one of them. It happens whether Force Proportions is on or off, and it happens regardless of whether Windows Ink is on or off. I am about to start digging into the Windows table PC settings to see if something in there is causing it.

Also, for me it only happens when manipulating Viewer 2. Panning around in Viewer 1 behaves normally, but panning Viewer 2 also moves Viewer 1.

edit: Nothing in the Windows settings (that I am aware of) seems to affect the issue.

For the purposes of testing on other systems, my specs are as follows:
Intel Core i7-8700K @ 3.7 GHz
GeForce GTX 1070
32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
Windows 10 Pro
Integrated notebook screen (monitor 1)
HP 2159m, connected via HDMI (monitor 2)
Wacom Intuos 4
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Marcus Goller

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 8:41 pm

I do not seem to be able to reproduce this.

Fusion Studio 9.0.2 here on Windows 10 Pro. I have an Intuos 4 M and driver version 6.3.23-1. My two monitors are connected and turned on and my tablet is configured to map to one monitor only. I can pan the 3D view of both viewers without any noticeable issue.
--
CPU: i7-4771
RAM: 32 GB
GPU: Nvidia GTX 960

Fraser Shiers

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 10:33 pm

Thanks Stefan, Brain, Marcus

I still get the same issue with Force Proportions on or off.

I find that with Fusion main UI on my primary display, viewer 2 behaves normally but manipulating viewer 1 will also affect viewer 2. If I move the Fusion ui onto display 2 then I get the opposite, viewer 1 behaves normally but manipulating viewer 2 also moves viewer 01.

If I open a floating window and place this on my second display, panning around in this window will also affect either viewer 1 or 2 on the primary display. This happens regardless of whether the floating window is set as an image viewer, spline editor or timeline.

My system specs are:
Intel Core i7-6800K @ 3.4 GHz
GeForce GTX 1070 - for GUI
Titan X (Maxwell version) - second gpu for rendering and processing tasks
128 GB 2133MHz DDR4
Windows 10 Pro
NEC MultiSync PA271W via DisplayPort (monitor 1)
Dell U2711 via DVI (monitor 2)
Wacom Intuos Pro Large

Fraser Shiers

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 10:52 pm

I just saw that a new Wacom driver has been released in the last 24hours. I've installed this and after 5 mins of testing, it seems to have fixed these issues.

I was previously using driver version 6.3.30-6 when the issues were present but have just installed 6.3.31-4. I'll work with this driver version today and report how it goes.

Bryan Ray

PostWed Sep 26, 2018 5:28 am

Yes, the new Wacom driver fixed it for me, too. But it disabled the ability to drag a node to a Viewer to display it! :roll:

I was on Nvidia driver version 398.11. I updated to 411.63, and now everything seems to work correctly.
Bryan Ray

Igor Riđanović

PostWed Sep 26, 2018 5:39 pm

Is anyone using Intuos 3 in Windows 10? That's where I'm having intermittent issues, but the latest driver I can use is 6.13.15-3.

Fraser Shiers

PostThu Sep 27, 2018 3:10 am

I had a fair few issues with an Intuos 3 tablet on windows 10. The lack of driver development from Wacom to support it pushed me to begrudgingly purchase a new tablet last year.

Re the issues in Fusion with the Intuos Pro, the latest driver version 6.3.31-4 seemed to have fixed all the issues I'd mentioned in my original post. The paint node is recognising pressure input from the tablet again and viewers are behaving as expected. Fingers crossed the next Windows update doesn't break everything again!

Bryan Ray

PostThu Sep 27, 2018 2:45 pm

I have an Intuos 2 at work, and we're about to finally migrate to Windows 10 in the next few weeks. I'll try to remember to report back when things have shaken out.
Bryan Ray

Igor Riđanović

PostThu Sep 27, 2018 3:33 pm

Off-topic, but Intuos 3 had the best design of all. I use side buttons a lot for firing application specific macros. Past Intuos 3 the buttons became too difficult to find by feel in a dark bay. The unambiguous feel and tactile response of the Intuos 3 buttons is the best in my opinion.

Bryan Ray

PostFri Sep 28, 2018 5:07 am

You know, I think I'm a generation behind in my thinking. I have a 3 at work, and I'm not sure what generation at home. I like the 3's buttons, too, because they're recessed. I typically rest my hand on the corner of the tablet to reach my keyboard. When I do that with the newer tablet, I brush those touch-sensitive, raised buttons, and the OSD appears. Even if I disable them, I still sometimes touch the ring, and that can't be completely disabled for some reason.
Bryan Ray

Massimo Moneta

PostMon Oct 29, 2018 11:31 pm

we have same issue with wacom.. intuos 4 if i remeber well. 2 monitor, 1 x 4k and 1 x fullhd.
When we select for example a point of a mask and try moving it, the cursor move away from the mask point, and alse we have some glitches panning image.

Mah.

I will try new driver, and also to disable that force proportion. Let's see tomorrow if it works.
Massimo Moneta
VFX supervisor

INSERTCOIN
www.insertcoin.tv

Windows 11 on Lenovo ThinkStation 640
AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3975WX 32-Cores 3.50 GHz
128 gb ram
RTX 3080
Fusion user since 1999 (version 2.5)

ArthurDitner

PostThu Nov 26, 2020 2:19 am

I finally just resolved the Wacom cursor offset issue with Windows 10 on an Intuos 3.

Try driver: 6.3.11-4a

New enough to fix the problem but old enough to still support my Intuos 3

bentheanimator

PostThu Nov 26, 2020 5:45 am

I use an Intuos 3 and just finished trouble shooting Windows 10 shenanigans. My machine did an update and afterwards, the pen would turn into a touch input and drag on selection. So if I tried to select text on a website, it would drag like I was on an iPad or phone. Went down the line of troubleshooting starting at turning off "Windows Ink" in the Wacom Preferences all the way to regedit and disabling all Windows Ink Keys. Nothing worked. Finally ended up disabling the device from Device Manager and uninstalling the driver from there. Once I did that, I restarted and reinstalled with the last known driver that supports my Inutos Cintiq 21ux and Inutos 3 PTZ-930. It all works again like it should.

Driver version: WacomTablet_6.3.15-3

TLDR;
Uninstall your drivers with device manager and install your drivers again. Windows 10 pulls shenanigans sometimes. It may not work in your situation but I found it a heck of a coincidence that we both started having trouble with Intuos 3s.
Resolve & Fusion Studio 18.6.5
Windows 10
Intel Xeon CPU 2699A @ 2.40GHz | 128GB RAM | 2xRTX3090 | 512NVME System | 8TB NMVE Scratch | 80TB 8Gbps Fiber

MacOS 12.7.2
MacBook Pro 13,3 | 16GB | Radeon 460 4GB | 256GB System | 256GB Scratch

Return to Fusion