Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion/Resolve closing suddenly and really bad performance

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Saif El-Deen Essam

Fusion/Resolve closing suddenly and really bad performance

PostTue Oct 30, 2018 1:15 pm

Hello everyone,

I struggled upon two problems, one of which is related to the fact that I'm not able to use Fusion in Resolve, that's because when I try to drag a "Solid Color" generator to the timeline (I don't want to add a footage/image), I'm simply unable to do so, nothing happens, no drag happens.
Another problem is when I was forced to use the standalone Fusion 9.0.2, I couldn't stand how it performed, it keeps closing suddenly with no crash/error message (this happens with Resolve 15 as well, even if I didn't have anything but a blank project), and when I make some edit like size/color for example, then I click play to see the effect in action, it goes to 1-3 frames/second, which is really slow, it keeps like that from frame 0 to final frame, when it replays from frame 0 after reaching final frame, it goes slow again as if it's rendering from beginning. I hope you help me with those two problems because I'm almost unable to finish a single animation.

I tried using both my intel and nvidia but both act the same.

My regards,
Saif

RCModelReviews

Re: Fusion/Resolve closing suddenly and really bad performan

PostWed Oct 31, 2018 4:00 am

Yeah, Fusion (stand-alone) does sometimes just disappear like that, however it's not so often as to be annoying, at least on my system.

Some Fusion functions are more likely to produce the "poof and it's gone" behaviour than others. I find camera-tracking to be one of the most likely ways of creating a crash.

Whilst Fusion 9 is nowhere near as robust as Resolve 14, it's still more than functional enough to get the job done (for me).
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

Saif El-Deen Essam

PostWed Oct 31, 2018 4:21 pm

So, any idea on how to fix those crashes? Or maybe some tricks/options to toggle on/off to improve rendering/playback speed?

Sander de Regt

PostWed Oct 31, 2018 4:23 pm

Start by turning off Open CL both in the nodes and in the preferences. This has been known to help from time to time.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Saif El-Deen Essam

PostWed Oct 31, 2018 5:50 pm

Can you post more details about how to do so? I'm still taking my first steps into Fusion :D

Return to Fusion