Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Updating a node to effect other instances

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Shane Colella

Updating a node to effect other instances

PostFri Nov 02, 2018 8:22 pm

I'm sure this is a simple task, but I cannot figure out how to do it for the life of me...
I have a bunch of lower thirds, comprised of a vertical rectangle mask over a background node with a few lines of text for the title.
I have 5 versions of this lower third in this particular project in resolve. I want to change the color of the background rectangle, and have the color change in all the other lower third instances. Currently I have set up a macro to make the lower third quickly, but when I want to edit it I have to go into each comp and change the rectangle color manually. There has to be an better way to link all those rectangles to a "master" node where it's properties dictate the properties of all the other instances from that macro?

Like a precomp element shared in multiple comps in AE, change the preComp rectangle element and all versions using that preComp update.
Am i missing the easy way to do this in Fusion?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Mario Hounkanrin

Re: Updating a node to effect other instances

PostSat Nov 03, 2018 6:12 am

Hey Shane!
Yes you can easily instance any tool in Fusion.
You just copy your tool (ctrl/cmd + C)
And instance it (ctrl/cmd + shift + V)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okke Verbart

PostSat Nov 03, 2018 8:13 am

There are a few ways to accomplish this:

- instancing: instead of creating brand new background nodes, paste instances of the 1st one and de-instance any variables you want to vary. So, for instance, if you want the sizes to differ, deinstance the width and height and keep the rest as-is. If you then want to change the color, just change the color in any of the background nodes and the rest will follow.

- for one of the nodes, "publish" the r,g, b (right click --> publish) and a channels and then for the other nodes, for the same parameters, right click "connect" and then connect the right channel to the right channel (r to r, g to g etc)

- use simple expressions
www.ablackbirdcalledsue.com

michael vorberg

PostSat Nov 03, 2018 9:23 am

I guess this works only if you have all the lower thirds in one composition but as I understand the original post this is about different compositions in one big resolve project

Okke Verbart

PostSat Nov 03, 2018 9:53 am

whoops - you're right.... I didn't read the original post properly...
www.ablackbirdcalledsue.com

Shane Colella

PostSat Nov 03, 2018 11:47 am

Thanks guys for the reply , so the instance solution will not work across different comps? I won't have time to try until tomorrow night, but I'll see if that works across the whole project, but if not, is there no other way to do this?
It seems really there should be, i'm just missing it.

Cheers

David_Cox

PostSat Nov 03, 2018 12:56 pm

Within the edit timeline, if you make a fusion clip into a compound clip, then all duplicates of this on the timeline relate back to the original comp.

However, this would be the entire of the comp, so if you had text in your fusion comp, this would be duplicated as well.

Perhaps the solution is to make your backgrounds as one comp, duplicated in your project via compound clips. Then have the text layer as a different comp on another edit layer. This would link all your backgrounds to a master, but keep the text content individual.

A "pre-comp" style of relationship would be a great feature to add in, for exactly this sort of use.

Dc.
Showreels: vimeo.com/davidcoxtv

Shane Colella

PostMon Nov 05, 2018 7:00 pm

Thanks DC,
So I guess it doesn't specifically exist, but the way you defined it in the edit page would work with two separate layers.. Sounds good,. Cheers

Return to Fusion