Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Newbie Question: Hangs on Export

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

MarkHy

Newbie Question: Hangs on Export

PostFri Jan 11, 2019 6:28 pm

I downloaded Fusion 9 and re-created the following video, but when I try to render it the program hangs.

youtube.com/watch?v=2DuBgluDm7I

I tried reducing the size to 1280 X 720 but it still hangs. Exporting H.264

Running:

Windows 8.1
AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series GPU
AMD FX-8320 Eight Core 3.5Ghz Processor
24GB Ram

What's my best option for getting Fusion to work for this?

Thierry Bergeron

Re: Newbie Question: Hangs on Export

PostFri Jan 11, 2019 8:54 pm

I am far from being super advanced in Fusion, but I tend to export image sequences instead of compressed files, then I compress it with another software.

Maybe try that.

MarkHy

PostFri Jan 11, 2019 9:30 pm

Thierry Bergeron wrote:I am far from being super advanced in Fusion, but I tend to export image sequences instead of compressed files, then I compress it with another software.

Maybe try that.

Thanks, but yes I tried that, didn't work. Same thing happened. I haven't given up yet though. What I'd really like to know is if my setup is simply incapable of handling it.

It would seem so.

Sander de Regt

PostFri Jan 11, 2019 10:36 pm

Apart from the Windows 8.1 part there is no reason why your system shouldn't be able to handle this.

I'm doing work on a 4 core i5 from 5 years ago with 16GB of Ram without any issue.
Can you copy/paste your setup into your reply so we can take a look? Because this shouldn't hang.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

MarkHy

PostFri Jan 11, 2019 11:18 pm

Sander de Regt wrote:Apart from the Windows 8.1 part there is no reason why your system shouldn't be able to handle this.

I'm doing work on a 4 core i5 from 5 years ago with 16GB of Ram without any issue.
Can you copy/paste your setup into your reply so we can take a look? Because this shouldn't hang.

Okay that was strange. I was trying everything that I could think of to work around this, so I decided that if I could replace the original images with a green screen, perhaps my machine could handle it, and then I could import that into Lightworks and replace the green screen with the image.

So I tried it and it actually exported the clip as png's although quite slowly, but when I tried importing it into Lightworks all that it saw was a green screen during the entire clip. Which was odd. So I went back to Fusion to see if I could play with the Alpha channel. Somewhere in the forums I read about adding an AlphaDivide before the saver. So I did that, and lo and behold it exported the png's in a snap. So I thought, well I'll try an MP4 with an AlphaDivide, and it exported it at 55fps. I have no idea why, but that AlphaDivide made all the difference.

Sometimes I have no clue why something works, I'm just happy that it does. I'll leave the why to somebody smarter than me.

Return to Fusion