Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

How do I blend my colors using gamma correctly in Fusion?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

tristanbay

How do I blend my colors using gamma correctly in Fusion?

PostMon Feb 04, 2019 3:11 am

I'm making a graphic animation, but the colors blend together in such a way where there are these dark, mucky lines where the colors meet. Is there a "blend colors using gamma" setting like there is in Photoshop so I can fix this? And how do I use those controls so my animation looks right?

muddy_colors.PNG
muddy_colors.PNG (14.96 KiB) Viewed 1034 times
Resolve 17 | Fusion 9 | Win 10 (1809) | why my computer wants to ctrl+z itself when it's running resolve: MSI GL62M laptop, i5-7300HQ CPU @ 2.5GHz, GeForce GTX 1050 2GB, 8GB RAM

Jörg-Mark Kasassoglou

Re: How do I blend my colors using gamma correctly in Fusion

PostMon Feb 04, 2019 2:53 pm

Hi,

if you are using footage which are in 8bit e.g. jpegs then you first pipe in a "Change Depth" node and set it to 16 bit float or 32bit float if you like. After this you use a "Gamut node" with the input colourspace set to sRGB.
This way you have your footage in 16 bit float linear space. then you do your comp work and at the end of the comp you use a Gamut node again converting from linear space to the colourspace you want.

make sure you have set the preferences to 16bit float also.

an other thing which might cause black borders is a premultiplication issue...

hope this helps :-)

Sander de Regt

PostMon Feb 04, 2019 2:56 pm

Jörg-Mark Kasassoglou wrote:an other thing which might cause black borders is a premultiplication issue...

I'd look into this first. What kind of images do you use for input? If they are *.pngs changes are that you have to check the premultiply by alpha checkbox inside the loader for them to work the way you want them to.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

tristanbay

PostMon Apr 29, 2019 6:00 am

Sander de Regt wrote:
Jörg-Mark Kasassoglou wrote:an other thing which might cause black borders is a premultiplication issue...

If they are *.pngs changes are that you have to check the premultiply by alpha checkbox inside the loader for them to work the way you want them to.

I wasn't actually working with any image files. It was text, paint strokes, rectangles, and masks. The color was being generated directly in Fusion. Would one of the same methods above still apply? Would I have to apply a gamut node by each generator or source node AND one right before my saver/media out node?

Sorry if the late reply is really bad btw. I don't think I turned on notifications for this and I just forgot about the post
Resolve 17 | Fusion 9 | Win 10 (1809) | why my computer wants to ctrl+z itself when it's running resolve: MSI GL62M laptop, i5-7300HQ CPU @ 2.5GHz, GeForce GTX 1050 2GB, 8GB RAM

Return to Fusion