Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion - Change timeline view from timecode to frames

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

meaganmargaret

Fusion - Change timeline view from timecode to frames

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 6:55 pm

Well, I've spent about 45 minutes searching the manual and Google. Can't find the answer.

This should be simple, but it's not. I want to change the timeline display (the timeline viewer as Resolve refers to it) from time/timecode) to frames in Fusion.

I looked in the help and lots of other places and I've gotten nowhere.

Anyone know how to do this?

Sander de Regt

Re: Fusion - Change timeline view from timecode to frames

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 9:23 pm

I might not understand you correctly, since you mention both Resolve as Fusion: are you referring to Fusion standalone? Because Fusion defaults to frames instead of Timecode, so I'm not quite sure what you're trying to achieve.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

meaganmargaret

PostThu Feb 14, 2019 11:05 pm

Sander de Regt wrote:I might not understand you correctly, since you mention both Resolve as Fusion: are you referring to Fusion standalone? Because Fusion defaults to frames instead of Timecode, so I'm not quite sure what you're trying to achieve.

First of all, thanks for attempting to help....

I'm working through some new Blackmagic training on Fusion (the fusion page in resolve not the standalone) and I'm using the Fusion page in Resolve (15.2.4). Fusion is very very difficult to use, and this training has a lot of bad instructions in it. One of the projects that they want you to work on shows timecode in the timeline viewer, and I couldn't change it. They kept saying move to frame 58, but the timeline viewer would show timecode and not frames. Another project they wanted you to work on did show frames (instead of timecode), but it wasn't critical to completing the project. Very frustrating.

Here's a typical problem: in the Fusion page, at one point they want you to connect a polygon mask (garbage mask) to a Delta Node, and they say to hold down on the option key and connect the output node of the polygon node to the Delta Node and it will show you a drop down of options. Well, no it won't. Doesn't work. No drop down menu and when I connected the garbage matte, I didn't get their result.

And, on top of that, Resolve blew up on me at least twice today, and hung a few times.

Their keying example, I couldn't get to work UNLESS I did it in After Effects. There it worked perfectly. (and it took me about 2 minutes....after 45 minutes of struggling with Fusion....)

I could never use this product in production until they get all of the bugs and inconsistencies out of it.

SimplSam

PostFri Feb 15, 2019 2:04 am

Can you tell us exactly which training you have been following (or attempting to) as it might might help to identify/resolve the issue.
Resolve Studio 18.6 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB

Sam

meaganmargaret

PostFri Feb 15, 2019 2:36 am

SimplSam wrote:Can you tell us exactly which training you have been following (or attempting to) as it might might help to identify/resolve the issue.

Came directly from Blackmagic, Paul Saccone on DaVinci's Facebook page:

UPDATE: In addition to over 8 hours of FREE training videos, we have now published 4 training books for Davinci Resolve 15. You can buy printed or e-book versions on Amazon or download the non-printable PDF for FREE from our website. The books are:

The Definitive Guide to DaVinci Resolve 15
Advanced Editing with DaVinci Resolve 15 <- this one, Ch. 8, Fusion chapter
Introduction to Fairlight Audio Post with DaVinci Resolve 15...
See More

xunile

PostFri Feb 15, 2019 4:35 am

meaganmargaret wrote:
Sander de Regt wrote:I might not understand you correctly, since you mention both Resolve as Fusion: are you referring to Fusion standalone? Because Fusion defaults to frames instead of Timecode, so I'm not quite sure what you're trying to achieve.

First of all, thanks for attempting to help....

I'm working through some new Blackmagic training on Fusion (the fusion page in resolve not the standalone) and I'm using the Fusion page in Resolve (15.2.4). Fusion is very very difficult to use, and this training has a lot of bad instructions in it. One of the projects that they want you to work on shows timecode in the timeline viewer, and I couldn't change it. They kept saying move to frame 58, but the timeline viewer would show timecode and not frames. Another project they wanted you to work on did show frames (instead of timecode), but it wasn't critical to completing the project. Very frustrating.

Here's a typical problem: in the Fusion page, at one point they want you to connect a polygon mask (garbage mask) to a Delta Node, and they say to hold down on the option key and connect the output node of the polygon node to the Delta Node and it will show you a drop down of options. Well, no it won't. Doesn't work. No drop down menu and when I connected the garbage matte, I didn't get their result.

And, on top of that, Resolve blew up on me at least twice today, and hung a few times.

Their keying example, I couldn't get to work UNLESS I did it in After Effects. There it worked perfectly. (and it took me about 2 minutes....after 45 minutes of struggling with Fusion....)

I could never use this product in production until they get all of the bugs and inconsistencies out of it.

When you hold down the Option key and click and drag from the output of a node to another node, make sure you keep holding down the Option key as you release the mouse button, and also keep the mouse arrow pointed over the node, you should see the option menu like in my screenshot below.

The option for viewing Timecode versus Frames is under the menu Fusion>Fusion Settings>Default section. It says "Timecode-Show Timecode". Fusion defaults to frames. You can see this menu in my other screenshot. You have to restart Resolve to see the change.
Attachments
2019-02-14 (1).png
2019-02-14 (1).png (461.54 KiB) Viewed 5763 times
2019-02-14 (2).png
2019-02-14 (2).png (297.75 KiB) Viewed 5763 times
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

meaganmargaret

PostFri Feb 15, 2019 10:49 pm

So, I tried changing that parameter, and the project still came in with timecode. I just think the Fusion page in Resolve is just really buggy.

You and I have different versions of Resolve, so I'm not sure that the Tool Tip works in later versions of Resolve. At any rate, I even tried doing this exercise on a Windows PC just to see if it was a Mac problem. Same results on Resolve for Windows 15.2.

I'm going to try the standalone version of Fusion to see if that makes a difference.

I think this exercise was never really tech edited, unfortunately, and no one ever caught that it didn't work as the instructions said it would.

Final score: After Effects < 2 minutes. Fusion - > 45 minutes and didn't get the correct final result.

xunile

PostSat Feb 16, 2019 1:19 am

meaganmargaret wrote:So, I tried changing that parameter, and the project still came in with timecode. I just think the Fusion page in Resolve is just really buggy.

You and I have different versions of Resolve, so I'm not sure that the Tool Tip works in later versions of Resolve. At any rate, I even tried doing this exercise on a Windows PC just to see if it was a Mac problem. Same results on Resolve for Windows 15.2.

I'm going to try the standalone version of Fusion to see if that makes a difference.

I think this exercise was never really tech edited, unfortunately, and no one ever caught that it didn't work as the instructions said it would.

Final score: After Effects < 2 minutes. Fusion - > 45 minutes and didn't get the correct final result.

I am using the latest version of Resolve. I am sorry you are having issues with it. If you are still interested in some help, could you post a screenshot of the Fusion page where you are seeing the Timecode instead of frames or frames instead of Timecode? Also, the connection menu should work, it is a context sensitive menu for the multiple inputs of a node, on the PC version of Resolve you can just right click and drag from the output of a node to the input of another node and the menu shows up. I haven't used the Mac version of Resolve but have had few problems with the Windows version. The stand alone version of Fusion is great, but it is also very similar to the Resolve 15 version. Since it is free as well it is definitely worth checking out. I wish you good luck.
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

Barbara Keating

PostTue Apr 02, 2019 11:12 am

I had that issue too, but if you go to the Resolve Edit Page and look in the Timeline Viewer options menu (three small gey dot), you can check "Show all video frames".

This option doesn't appear in Resolve 15.3 afaik.

UPDATE: I tried this with another clip and it doesn't show frames, so perhaps a bug or a setting somewhere ? I tried restarting after the change. The clip was already in Fusion, so maybe this makes a difference ?

See attached image.

Chad Capeland

PostTue Apr 02, 2019 6:56 pm

meaganmargaret wrote:

This. There's just a lot of bad information in there.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Return to Fusion