Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

How to achieve a good mask with an alpha exe chanel

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

nicolectro

How to achieve a good mask with an alpha exe chanel

PostFri Mar 22, 2019 11:42 am

Hello everyone, i'm totally new to fusion which i've tried for some days and for the first time. I'm really enjoying the nodal structure and even if there is a lot to learn, i find it really exciting.That's said, i'd like to ask my first noob question here today. I have rendered an exr (linear) 3d scene from C4D/Redshift, i've made my composition and everything is fine. It will be a still image for a client of mine. With a saver at the end, jpeg files, done. Right. Now i would like to save a png file with no background. I'm trying to use the alpha channel (luminance black and white) to achieve this but the result is really crappy. What is the good way to use alpha channels in fusion to obtain smooth results?

Thanks a lot for all your interest in this very long post.

PS : i'm looking desperately a good course to learn fusion and there is not a lot of sources in the Internet, is there something you would recommend to me please?

Chad Capeland

Re: How to achieve a good mask with an alpha exe chanel

PostFri Mar 22, 2019 5:33 pm

PNG assumes the RGB is "straight", so for grey alpha pixels, the RGB isn't darkened. You might need to divide your RGB by the alpha to get rid of the premultiplication that most 3D renderers bake in.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

nicolectro

PostFri Mar 22, 2019 5:37 pm

Thanks Chad, i think i understand your answer well (even if my alpha channel comes from an exr and not from a png) but honestly i don't know how to do that at that time. Is it the alphaDiv or a boolean node that i have to use (or something else)? I will try in a few minutes.
Cheers

xunile

PostFri Mar 22, 2019 6:17 pm

nicolectro wrote:Hello everyone, i'm totally new to fusion which i've tried for some days and for the first time. I'm really enjoying the nodal structure and even if there is a lot to learn, i find it really exciting.That's said, i'd like to ask my first noob question here today. I have rendered an exr (linear) 3d scene from C4D/Redshift, i've made my composition and everything is fine. It will be a still image for a client of mine. With a saver at the end, jpeg files, done. Right. Now i would like to save a png file with no background. I'm trying to use the alpha channel (luminance black and white) to achieve this but the result is really crappy. What is the good way to use alpha channels in fusion to obtain smooth results?

Thanks a lot for all your interest in this very long post.

PS : i'm looking desperately a good course to learn fusion and there is not a lot of sources in the Internet, is there something you would recommend to me please?

I have 2 course on Fusion 9 on Udemy. There are others as well if you look around but I'll post a link to my courses in case you are interested. I will also be offering a Resolve 15 Fusion course towards the middle of April.

https://www.udemy.com/learn-blackmagic-fusion-free-after-effects-altenative/?couponCode=BMDFORUM

https://www.udemy.com/blackmagic-fusion-from-novice-to-expert/?couponCode=BMDFORUM
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

nicolectro

PostSat Mar 23, 2019 11:24 am

[EDIT] i've found a way (not totally right but it's almost OK). I apply my alpha on each part of the re-composed beauty and the black fringe is quite invisible. Don't know if it's a good way of doing it though.

Well, i must be really bad at compositing, i'm not able to reproduce that and obtain a good result. Is there any tutorial i could watch to understand how to do that? Or perhaps an example?
Thank you very much
Nico

Return to Fusion