Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Drag and drop transitions

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

jamie_fenn

Drag and drop transitions

PostMon Apr 22, 2019 5:50 pm

I posted this in the Davinci page as well because I didn’t know if this post fell more into this category or the other, but, can you design your own drag and drop transitions in Davinci 16??

jamie_fenn

Re: Drag and drop transitions

PostTue Apr 23, 2019 8:29 pm

Bueller?

Sander de Regt

PostTue Apr 23, 2019 8:40 pm

I am not sure what drag and drop transisitions are, so I can't really reply to this. But you have been heard.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Thierry Bergeron

PostTue Apr 23, 2019 10:06 pm

Sander de Regt wrote:I am not sure what drag and drop transisitions are, so I can't really reply to this. But you have been heard.

Drag and drop transitions are the prebuilt transitions you will find in any editor, disolves, wipes, dip to colour or the best of them all, a star wipe.

You just grab them from the effects list and drop them between clips on your timeline.

iddos-l

PostWed Apr 24, 2019 1:21 pm

There is an effect pallet in the edit page where you can drag drop transitions like desolve and such.
Is this what your looking for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bryan Ray

PostWed Apr 24, 2019 2:24 pm

He's looking for the ability to customize those—for instance, make a page-turn animation that can be dropped between two clips.

Like Sander, I don't really know much about the Resolve end of things. I don't see anything about it in the manual, and poking around in the software didn't reveal a way to do it or any examples, so I would guess that the moment it's not possible. It would surprise me if that wasn't something that BMD wants the software to be able to do eventually, though.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

jamie_fenn

PostWed May 01, 2019 4:11 pm

Im not sure if you’re familiar with Apple motion but you can create your own transitions and put them into FCPX to use. The reason I’m asking is because I don’t want to have to spend a stupid amount of time to create a simple whip or zoom effect or luma key transition when I could design my own preset and custom the timing and effect for that specific clip. It doesn’t make sense to spend so much time on something so simple.
I hope there’s a way in the future...
Bryan Ray wrote:He's looking for the ability to customize those—for instance, make a page-turn animation that can be dropped between two clips.

Like Sander, I don't really know much about the Resolve end of things. I don't see anything about it in the manual, and poking around in the software didn't reveal a way to do it or any examples, so I would guess that the moment it's not possible. It would surprise me if that wasn't something that BMD wants the software to be able to do eventually, though.

jamie_fenn

PostWed May 01, 2019 11:32 pm

And what about creating drag and drop titles to create transitions?

Look at this ------>

Is that B.S.?

Bryan Ray

PostThu May 02, 2019 3:26 pm

Well, if somebody's advertising it, they've obviously solved it. I'd say wait for the release, buy the package, and try to deconstruct it.

As for titles, those are relatively easy. You can put a Fusion title on the timeline, the switch over to the Fusion tab to see how it was constructed—they're all just macros. I think you can make a new one available on the Edit page by putting it in C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Fusion\Templates\Edit\Titles (Windows).

Again, I'm not very familiar with Resolve; just about everything I know is related to standalone Fusion.

Here's a good resource for learning how to build new macros in Fusion 9:
https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckl ... f=6&t=1581

Procedure should be the same in 16 and the Fusion tab, but the interface looks much different.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

FleetMac10

PostFri May 03, 2019 3:29 pm

Looking at the Messiah video, it looks as if he's using the new Adjustment layers as a conduit for the fusion comp to use the underlying footage in the nodes. Smoke had (has?) this, called a Background node and it was great for things like this, especially being able to move around a complex comp and have it effect whatever underneath appropriately. If your comp was on v2, and you had footage on v1, the node would pipe in whatever was there.

This was something I was hoping to see with the inclusion of Fusion in Resolve, and if it works this way, Sweet!

I'll admit, I haven't peaked at 16 yet, so I can't speak to the validity of this, but I'll do some research and get back to this. Unless someone else knows.
Michael Fleetwood

Edit / Color / Finish

Resolve 17.1 / Fusion 9.02
iMac 2020
3.6 GHz 10-Core Intel Core i9
Mac OS 10.15.7
AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB

jamie_fenn

PostSat May 04, 2019 5:36 pm

How would you create a adjustment layer like his in fusion?

jamie_fenn

PostSun Aug 04, 2019 7:01 pm

I still can't figure out how to make these. I feel like its so simple I'm just missing something....

This guy kind of breaks down the transitions but for some reason when I try to make mine in fusion and drop it on top of two clips it just turns black on the viewer window for the length of the clip..

Whats going on in the fusion tab or the adjustment clips?

Return to Fusion