Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Greenscreen tracking marks

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Oli Koos

Greenscreen tracking marks

PostWed May 01, 2019 10:17 pm

Hi,
I was wondering what would be the best way to track tracking marks on a greenscreen and apply the camera movement to a plate image for the background? The 3D camera tracker while masking out the actors?

Hendrik Proosa

Re: Greenscreen tracking marks

PostThu May 02, 2019 5:22 am

Depends on the type of movement. If camera is only panning you can do simple 2D track. If it has position change you probably need 3D cam track (depends om how far the bg actually will be). But if you need 3D track but you only have markers on greenscreen plane and no other markers in different depths, you are a bit in trouble. Camera tracker can't solve position from features that lie on single plane, it is not possible to deduce position so you may get inverted perspective or just garbage. So you either need additional markers closer to camera (if you have them) or survey data (which you can't afaik use inl Fu).

Masking out all nonstatic objects is necessary if you use autotrack. Or you could delete faulty feature tracks before solving.
I do stuff

Oli Koos

PostThu May 02, 2019 7:48 am

Cool thanks for the advise.
With the 2D tracker, how would you apply the movement to the background, just connect the X/Y with the tracker?

I found some very interesting videos about tracker marks online

Oli Koos

PostThu May 02, 2019 8:03 am

On the second video at 10min50 they are talking about using different angles. Is it possible in Fusion to do 3d camera track with multiple angles and stitch all the data together to get one big scene? I guess by just connecting the 3d tracker to the same 3d merge node but I think there is no way around moving and maybe even scaling it manually to match the other one, right?

At 11min14 they are shooting a distortion grid. How would you apply that distortion data to the background or even use it to help the tracker solve better? To apply it to the background, I assume, you would need to aline a virtual grid over the filmed grid and warp it manually so that it matches, and connect the warp to the background.

Return to Fusion